[comp.dcom.modems] Anybody Read PC Digest's Modem Review?

CS117341@YUSol.bitnet (Norman) (07/26/89)

Hello all,

In last month's PC Digest Ratings Report (vol 3 #6), they
reviewed 10 High-Speed modems. Among them, are the Microcom
QX/V.32c, USR Courrier HST Dual Standard, Hayes V-series
9600, and Telebit Trailblazer Plus. Overall, the
Microcom rated 8.5/10, with the USR trailing with a 7.8.
Rather surprisingly, the Trailblazer + rated a 5.4 (it
scored 8th, tying with the Ventel Pathfinder).

The Microcom and USR modem both offer a 38.4K data rate
between the system and computer, which would help to
explain their high performance in comparison to the
other modems.  Interestingly, the Trailblazer+ doesn't
seem to do well in comparison to the MNP 5 modems. In
fact, it was generally one of the slower modems in the
tests.

Recently, I've recommended the purchase of two Trailblazer
T2500 modems for high-speed communications, and am now
faced with responding to the conclusions of PC Digest.

Now, I do realize that the TB+ and T2500 are different modems;
the T2500 having v.32 and MNP 5. However, I am at a loss
to explain the Trailblazer's rather sluggish performance
in PEP mode.

Would anyone have any clues as to why the Trailblazer
didn't do well in this report?

Please respond directly, and I'll summarize to
all who request it.

Norman

CS117341@YUSol.bitnet (Norman) (07/27/89)

I forgot to include my address in my last message...
I'm reposting the whole message again. Apologies...

[...]

(most of these work)
cs117341@yusol.Bitnet                    cs117341@sol.YorkU.CA
cs117341%yusol@mivma.mit.edu             cs117341%yusol@cunyvm.cuny.edu
cs117341%yusol@forsythe.stanford.edu     [...]!psuvax1!yusol.bitnet!cs117341
[...]!utzoo!yunexus!yusol!cs117341 (?)
[...]!utzoo!nexus.yorku.ca!yusol!cs117341(?)

In article <89Jul26.231152edt.57880@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca> CS117341@YUSol.bitnet (Norman) writes:

> In last month's PC Digest Ratings Report (vol 3 #6), they
> reviewed 10 High-Speed modems...

We could get in another extended discussion about the sames issues as
the last extended discussions...

The real questions are:

1) Are the things they are testing relevant to your application.

2) Are the test procedures really reflective of real world conditions.

3) Which modems give you the most utility/connectivity.

4) Which modems give you the highers performance / dollar.

5) Which modems address any special concern for your applications.

Conditions in the modem market are changing.  Last year, the Telebit was
the clear leader in the unix/uucp area.  This year the others are much
more competitive.  In the PC/BBS world MNP and mega-baud rates have more
attraction and cause fewer problems than in the Unix world.  Transmitting
a spread sheet thats 75% spaces isn't the same as a compressed news batch.

V.32 is becoming more important (and cheaper).  Everybody should have at
least one modem that talks V.32 for talking to the outside universe, which
translates into all modems should do V.32 in addition to their proprietary
techniques, as long as cost doesn't make them non-competitive.

Telebit has in some ways failed to really keep up with the market in ways
that would make them more competitve, resting on their technology and
initial penetration into niche markets.  Support for USR modes would allow
interoperation into the BBS area and still seems to be a reaonsable
compromise for interactive use.  V.32 was late in coming and expensive.
SLIP support is illusory, giving away a growing niche to the V.32 solutions.

 The 38.4 K-baud frenzy is mostly specsmanship and false advertising, but
there's no (obvious) reason why at TB can't talk 38.4K too.  The 5.00 ROM's
were very slow in coming, while the auto-baud and modem wedging bugs made
initial installation harder then it should have been and created bad press.
Lack of clear and explicit documentation for the spoofing modes creates
doubt and uncertainty.  The incompatibility between the telebit answering
sequences and smart-modem "voice detect" and the "S92=1" kludge turned
things that should have worked simply and by default into operational hassles.

BTW, I am a "satisfied" Telebit customer, and we've now bought around
50 Telebits, including TB+, T1000, rackmounts and a couple T2500's.
I just think they could be doing a better job and may suffer for it.