[comp.dcom.modems] 2400 Baud Modem Help

PERRY@NORTHEASTERN.EDU (07/30/89)

   HI! I know you have probably gone into this before but I don't subscribe
 to this list so I appreciate your patience. I am looking for a good 2400
 Baud modem. I would like it to be MNP 5 (if there is a good one for < $200)
 I have someone who is willing to sell me an ATIetc Internal 2400BD MNP5 for
 $155. Is this a good deal? Is the ATI a good modem? How is it's filtering?
 Could you suggest other good modems and mention any pros and cons to look
 out for?

	....And thanks for your support!

			Jeffrey Perry
			A student modem addict on a low budget :)

gwang@berlioz (George Wang) (07/31/89)

In article <8907300706.AA03623@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> PERRY@NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:

>   HI! I know you have probably gone into this before but I don't subscribe
> to this list so I appreciate your patience. I am looking for a good 2400
> Baud modem. I would like it to be MNP 5 (if there is a good one for < $200)
> I have someone who is willing to sell me an ATIetc Internal 2400BD MNP5 for
> $155. Is this a good deal? Is the ATI a good modem? How is it's filtering?
> Could you suggest other good modems and mention any pros and cons to look
> out for?

Hi there... If you're looking for a real good deal, I would
just go ahead and buy an inexpensive 2400 baud NORMAL modem
without MNP error correction.... THEN, there are existing
SOFTWARE MNP emulation programs which work quite well!!
They are shareware and very nice... I am trying out
one that was written in Chicago... It emulates MNP level
5.... If you need more info let me know...

George Wang
VLSI Software Engineer
National Semiconductor
Gwang@berlioz.nsc.com

putze@csusac.uucp (Olaf Scholz) (08/01/89)

I run a TELEMIDAS TM24 that serves 2400/1200/300 bps and comes with the
BITCOM software. It satisfies my needs, that means I have no dropouts.
It costed me about 120 bucks (in March) and is an internal modem. That has
the advantage that it doesn't need a serial port, and if You have one it
doesn't occupies it (I also run a mouse on the serial port). External mo
dems have all those fency blinking lamps on the outside and look nice, but
I couldn't see other advantages of them. They even cost about 20 $ more.
I You want more info about my modem and where I got it  just call me:
csusac!putze or (916) 488 96 20.
    	Hope I could help
					putze (Olaf Scholz)

lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau) (08/04/89)

In article <519@berlioz.nsc.com> gwang@berlioz.nsc.com (George Wang) writes:
>In article <8907300706.AA03623@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> PERRY@NORTHEASTERN.EDU writes:
>>
>> to this list so I appreciate your patience. I am looking for a good 2400
>> Baud modem. I would like it to be MNP 5 (if there is a good one for < $200)
>> Could you suggest other good modems and mention any pros and cons to look
>> out for?
>>

>Hi there... If you're looking for a real good deal, I would
>just go ahead and buy an inexpensive 2400 baud NORMAL modem
>without MNP error correction.... THEN, there are existing
>SOFTWARE MNP emulation programs which work quite well!!
>They are shareware and very nice... I am trying out
>one that was written in Chicago... It emulates MNP level
>5.... If you need more info let me know...
>
>George Wang
>VLSI Software Engineer
>National Semiconductor
>Gwang@berlioz.nsc.com

George->

	Do you know of any of the above-mentioned MNP 5 emulation programs
which include sources in any language??  I have docs from Microcom for MNP
levels 1-3, but what I'd really like is level 5 for my Minix remote logins
and uucp etc.. even if it IS based in software..  and because (I assume)
these emulators are MS-DOS based, I'd need the source.   Could you send me some
info on what packages are available, how much they are, and whether they
include sources??

Thanks very much!

Christopher Lau
Software Design Engineer
NovAtel Communications Ltd.

Replies-> Post 'em to the newsgroup if they're interesting, else:
		CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
		lauch@vaxa!cpsc.ucalgary.ca
		or whatever is on the reply field on this message
Disclaimer-> I didn't say it, the computer did!

johns@hp-ptp.HP.COM (John_Schubert) (08/09/89)

In "Online" magazine a publication of CompuServe, a store called the Online
Store advertises an internal 4800 baud modem for $99.  What these slims are
really selling is a 2400 baud modem with MNP level 5 software. Of course you
may not want to deal with them for this reason..., however it is what you're
looking for. You should be able to find their 800 number on CompuServe or
through information.

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (08/10/89)

      I missed the original posting but if your looking for a cheap
   but full feature Hayes 2400 compatable, I'd recommend the Intel 24EX
   (there is also a cheaper internal version that I am not familiar with).
      Including tax, mine cost a few cents under $200, that's about 40%
    the cost of a genuine Hayes external.  I just got this modem yesterday
    and it appears to be 100% Hayes compatiable and came with two disk; one
    a diagnostics disk, the other containing some sort of communications
    software by MagicSoft Inc.  The disk are intended for use with MS-DOS
    (but not OS/2) and I've not looked at them.
       The Intel 24 contains non-volital ram (many cheap compatiables do
     not), all Hayes type S registers with same ranges and defaults. To
     get this guy running, all I did was to physically swap it with
     the genuine Hayes I had been using.

I don't work for Intel, own any of its stock or have any other type of
interest in them.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.