[comp.dcom.modems] The future of FAX

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/08/89)

Hmmm... (Long musing follows on what FAX machines *could* be...)

Fax cards for PC's.  This seems to be a growing market, and now of
course there are UNIX drivers for the things, however I think a
fundamental error has been made.  FAX transmission and reception
is a fairly intensive activity in terms of I/O -- incoming FAXes
especially can take hundreds of kb, and they have to be ready at
anytime.  With most computers, 24 hour access is rare -- e.g. the
system may be down for maintenance, or doing an fsck.

My proposal is: why not treat a FAX machine as a peripheral device,
via a serial port?  Has this been done?  Is there a FAX machine
which one can send an X.400 mail message to, which can add its
own selected headers, compress it for Group III or IV, and add it
to its own queue for transmission, possibly to a pre-selected
distribution list?  My dream FAX would have its own disk drive
(3.5" DOS format) for spooling incoming, and have a printer port
(with a range of drivers which are setup-selectable, such as
Epson, HP Laserjet, PostScript, etc.), as well as an optional
FAX-type printer.  Optional modules for the FAX would enable its
scanner to store the image as Group III or IV, and also output
the image(s) to disk as TIFF, GIF, PCX or what-have-you.  The
scanner should be able to do OCR as well, and also be able to
function as a simple photocopier.

So am I dreaming?  Why can't I just treat a FAX machine as a
spool queue, able to accept X.400 or RFC message formats?
I'm convinced this is better than an inboard FAX board in a
UNIX box.  Of course you might be able to achieve some of this
functionality with a cheap PC linked via a LAN...  but why not
add the intelligence to the FAX machine, and have optional
interfaces such as V.24, SNA, IEEE-802.3, SCSI or Centronics?

Sigh....

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Bang: ..!uunet!dsiramd!csnz!paul    Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (08/08/89)

In article <90@csnz.co.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
... Lot's of stuff justifying:
>So am I dreaming?  Why can't I just treat a FAX machine as a
>spool queue, able to accept X.400 or RFC message formats?
>I'm convinced this is better than an inboard FAX board in a
>UNIX box.  Of course you might be able to achieve some of this
>functionality with a cheap PC linked via a LAN...  but why not
>add the intelligence to the FAX machine, and have optional
>interfaces such as V.24, SNA, IEEE-802.3, SCSI or Centronics?
>--
>Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
>Bang: ..!uunet!dsiramd!csnz!paul    Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz
>Call Magic Tower BBS V21/23/22/22bis 24 hrs +0064 4 767 326

It seems to me that, given the degree of functionality and flexibility
you are asking for, and given the direction of hardware prices, the
ideal solution to you dream is exactly what you said:  Buy a cheap PC,
put a faxboard and whatever communication controllers and printers
you want on it, and run unix on it to manage the queues and device
drivers.  You might want to add a DSP board of some kind if you have
a heavy load, but I doubt that would be necessary.

The cheapest programmable fax machine I've seen is about $1400.  Buy
a pc w/monochrome monitor ($1300?), a fax board ($400), unix ($500),
and a laser printer ($1600?), and you have $3800 system that does
what you want, and allows for future expansion.

Dan

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/10/89)

Remember that every piece of equipment has downtime, be it a
toaster oven or an ultra-reliable-computer-system-with-replicated-
hardware.  To be truly useful the protocols for doing e-mail
over FAX will have to take that into account and spool things
when it can't get through.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

GPWRDCS@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, GPO) (08/12/89)

In article <90@csnz.co.nz>, paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>[much carrying on about attaching fax to a computer]
>            Of course you might be able to achieve some of this
> functionality with a cheap PC linked via a LAN...

Well, we (GPO) pulled off a such a scheme by parking a PC (cheapish AT)
on Ethernet and running DECnet/DOS and talking to it from VAXes.

The system worked by having the a batch file on the PC (running MS-DOS)
looking at a virtual disk located on the VAX and testing if any files
were present.  If any were found, they would be passed to the fax board
for transmission and deleted.  Sending a fax was a simple matter of
formatting the message into a bit-map (this was a quick-n-dirty - this
part of the job could always be done on the PC) and dropping the file
into a directory on the VAX.  Very simple, used off-the-shelf software
and hardware for the actual transmission, and the PC could easily be
taken offline and used as a PC without any loss of transmission (ie
transmission would resume as soon as the batch file was re-started).

The fax board was capable of receiving faxes while the PC was in use. I
don't think this feature was used in the application being developed.

> Call Magic Tower BBS V21/23/22/22bis 24 hrs +0064 4 767 326

I do.

Don Stokes, Systems Programmer    /  /   Domain:                  don@gp.govt.nz
Government Printing Office,      /GP/   PSImail:          PSI%0530147000028::DON
Wellington, New Zealand         /  /   Bang:    ...!uunet!vuwcomp!windy!gpwd!don
Machines work, people should think.