[comp.dcom.modems] Junk Fax: urban legend?

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/13/89)

In article <132@ssc.UUCP> tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) writes:

>I just can't BELIEVE all the stuff I am reading in print media about
>Junk Fax.  Last year it was computer viruses, now it is the spectre of
>some demon-dialing monster taking over and using all your expensive paper.

	sure enough, the media is in an uproar about this "issue".
	and dipshit politicians who don't know fax from phone sex
	will probably be involved soon.

>Is this really a problem?  I think not.  I have been trying to track down
>anyone who has personally experienced this as an ongoing problem, and the
>trail is starting to look like the typical "urban legend".

>The stories I keep seeing in the media tell these alledged horrors of
>how someone had a really important message to send, but the machine was
>'all tied up' by some junk fax coming through, as though they were
>powerless to reach over and momentarily unplug the modular phone cord
>so they could send their fax!

	there's no problem if the machine is attended...
	but what if someone sends endless fax overnight?

>As I understand the new laws that are being passed, if I want to send
>a 40 second fax to someone in one of 'those' states, I must first make
>a 3 minute phone call to get permission!

	a few pages of fax is nothing to worry about, since most senders
	list their phone numbers at the top of the fax.  a malicious
	PC-fax board user could cause a far more trouble -- sending
	endless fax files which use up ALL your fax paper and tie up lines.

	it would be easy to catch the twit originating such messages,
	but there probably does have to be a law against endless-fax.
	perhaps current telecom law covers such an act already...

--
 ...... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);(6178591389);(6178906844) {}
/* */