[comp.dcom.modems] Microcom QX/V.32c evaluation

jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) (08/02/89)

I've finally was able to test the Microcom QX/V.32c at 38400 baud.  I am
very impressed with its performance.  All tests were done between two
IBM RT/PCs running the latest release of 4.3 BSD and two Microcom QX/V.32c
modems with Version 1.5 of the EPROMS.  The RTs both had Dickens Data
Systems intelligent 8 Port I/O boards.

During normal tip session, I got over 3300 cps effective throughput
catting a 115000 byte /etc/hosts file.  Interactive response was fantastic.
There were delays on character echos.  Simply amazing throughput.

SLIP response was fairly good as well.  I'm runing generic 4.3 BSD SLIP.
Cating /etc/hosts over slip went at about 2600-2700 cps.  ftp of /etc/hosts
went at about 2.2 kilobytes/second.  Binary files seemed to ftp at between
1.2 and 1.5 kilobytes/second.

On the down side, character echos over slip were definately slower than when
compression was turned off on the same modems.  Hopefully the soon-to-come
SLIP with header compression should solve this problem.

I believe that a recent posting stating that 38,400 support didn't help
throughput much was in error, since some things were much faster when connected
at 38400 baud than at 19200 with the same modem.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (08/03/89)

In article <361@larouch.UUCP> jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) writes:
>During normal tip session, I got over 3300 cps effective throughput
>catting a 115000 byte /etc/hosts file.  Interactive response was fantastic.
>There were delays on character echos.  Simply amazing throughput.

That's the kind of experience I'd expect for a V.32 modem -- and about
what we were getting in the terminal room at Usenix.  That is, what we
*would* be getting if all our sessions were to local hosts.  My login
sessions ran reasonably well -- well enough that I was reading news
from there.  Others who were less fortunately connected than I were
experiencing long delays, especiallly the chap from Scotland.

The terminal room was run off a T2500 ... I don't know what baud rate
and/or compression was used.

>SLIP response was fairly good as well.  I'm runing generic 4.3 BSD SLIP.
>Cating /etc/hosts over slip went at about 2600-2700 cps.  ftp of /etc/hosts
>went at about 2.2 kilobytes/second.  Binary files seemed to ftp at between
>1.2 and 1.5 kilobytes/second.

For reference:

I've been doing some experimentation recentlly with the SLIP driver that
comes with Ultrix.  Between a Vs2000 and a uVaxII over a 9600 baud straight
serial wire:

	terminal sessions were bursty.  Individual bursts were at the
	right speed, but there were pauses.

	an xterm run over that link was even burstier

	ftp of a largish file (140K /etc/termcap) went at 8kbits/sec
	or about 90% of line speed.  This was over a *quiet* line

	copying largish files into an NFS mounted file system failed
	strangely, but I was using the same packet-size parameters
	as we use over ETHER.  Probably I was simply overrunning some
	buffering somewhere.

	ping time is 200 ms.

You're getting 22,000 bits per sec on a 38,400 line or about 66% of line speed.

Yes I know that things don't work as efficiently at higher baud rates.
Rather, that it's nowhere near a simple comparison ...

Over another link ... this one is again at 9600 baud.  But it has two
terminal networks in between the two machines.  One is a state-wide
AT&T ISN network that we call KECNET, the other part is a connection
through the campus-wide Ung. Bass broadband network & terminal servers.
We lose hardware flow control because the ISN net doesn't do it.  One
end is the same uVaxII and the other end is an 11/750 in Louisville.

	Terminal sessions are burstier

	haven't tried xterm

	ftp of largish files gets ~3.5 k bits per sec -- <50% line utilization

	haven't tried NFS

	for some reason this link has routed traffic going over it and
	the other doesn't.  This link also has the MTU set down to 256 bytes.

	ping time is 500 ms.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <361@larouch.UUCP> jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) writes:

> I believe that a recent posting stating that 38,400 support didn't help
> throughput much was in error, since some things were much faster when
> connected at 38400 baud than at 19200 with the same modem.

I'm not sure that was exactly the claim.  If you are sending compressible
data, then a bit rate of up to "compresssion factor"*"real channel thruput"
is quite handy.  It may or may not be practical on your "average" unix
system due to the usual character I/O overhead/latency problems.  If you
have a fast machine, running effectivly single users and/or an "intelligent"
I/O card, this may not be a problem.

Could you run the compress utility using this host file for input and
report what the compression factor there was?

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) (08/06/89)

In article <7525@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>Could you run the compress utility using this host file for input and
>report what the compression factor there was?

uncompressed /etc/hosts is 110025 characters long
compressed /etc/hosts is 41724 characters long

Also, I turned on flow control and got the following troughputs on the
Microcom QX/V.32c (with ftp over SLIP with modems hooked up at 38400 baud
between 2 RT PC running 4.3 BSD with Dickens Data Systems 8 Port boards
with 1 KByte buffer per port):

compressed file: .89 Kbytes/second
uncompressed binary: 2 Kbytes/second
uncompressed /etc/hosts: 2.6 Kbytes/second

Also, I did

(cd /usr; tar cf - man ) | rsh valimar "(cd /usr; tar xpf -)"

sending 6200 Kbytes of manual pages in about 45 minutes = 2351 bytes/second.

I'm very impressed.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (08/15/89)

As another datapoint, I've had abysmal results with all the Microcom
modems I've tested.  Back in June, I had a pair of QX/V.32cs.  They
worked fine inside the building and from home.  I brought one with
me to the Baltimore USENIX and I couldn't get it to connect to its
twin sitting back here in our machine room, at ANY speed.  However,
an internal 2400 baud modem in a laptop had no problem talking to
the QX/V.32c back here, using the same phone line!  When I brought
the modem back here, it worked fine.

At the same time, we had flawless performace from the Telebit T2500s
that were being used in the terminal room.

> The [Baltimore USENIX] terminal room was run off a T2500 ... I don't
> know what baud rate and/or compression was used.

Just for the record, both sides were at 9600 and were using Van
Jacobson's header compression code, one end on a Sun3 and the other
on an Annex.  For most of the show, the Sun3 sitting in the terminal
room was using a SLIP link at 38400 to the Annex (since there was
no Ethernet at all in the room).

I recently had a pair of Microcom QX/3296s on evaluation.  These
do MNP.6, as opposed to the MNP.9 on the QX/V.32c.  They do have
a "uucp spoofing mode", or so the manual says.  It just lists the
command to turn it on, but says nothing about what it does.  I was
interested in trying it, given that the QX/V.32c was beaten by a
Trailblazer-Plus in terms of throughput over a UUCP connection.
When I first unpacked the QX/3296s, one of them was acting flakey
because about 99% of the time it wouldn't pick up the phone line
when given a dial command (i.e., it couldn't get a dialtone - I'd
hear the relay go off hook, but I'd get nothing on the speaker -
plugging in a phone got me a dialtone).  All of a sudden [no good
reason why - I hadn't changed any switches or configuration], it
started working fine.  I got the pair to work and was somewhat
satisfied with the performance.  I put the previously flakey one
in my machine room and took the other one home.  When I got home,
the modem would no longer pass self test.

To make a long story shorter - we're buying T2500s.  I've never had
problems like this with my Trailblazers.

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group