[comp.dcom.modems] US Robotics HST for Unix/386

paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) (08/16/89)

Don't laugh at me about my asking for your help!!  I have TB and HST for
my ix/386 v2.0.2.  My Unix machine contains many MS-DOS files so HST is
really popular fast modem for MS-DOS World.  I have seen note that one
Unix board is running US Robotics HST but I could not locate this
board.

I would like to know how to setup for HST in ROM, Devices, Dialers,
gettydef and inittab files.

Thanks in advance!

Willy

p.s. also  uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp  or   willyp@seaeast.wa.com

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/16/89)

In article <8908152134.AA14079@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
> I would like to know how to setup for HST in ROM, Devices, Dialers,
> gettydef and inittab files.

I am running an HST under SCO and have plans to switch to Interactive 386.

My modem is set with hardware flow control only and the baud rate floating -
not locked as with the PEP.

I tried locking the HST but ran into problems and was told of an upgrade to
SCO which solves this problem.

Once I get Interactive up and running, I hope to lock the modem at 38.4 kbaud.

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (08/17/89)

Hi,

ix/386 is very good system but unfortunatly Interactive lacks support on
communication.  I already spend three weeks working on just one major
installing and finally I had no problem sending uucp mail or news out
but it disconnects fast when someone is trying to call in.  I am still
looking for setting up on Telebit in gettydefs for ix/386 and setting up
in Telebit ROM.  I notice that SCO setting used Flow control while
ix/386 setting must turn off flow contron in S58 and S68 register before
it works ok for out-going calls.

Willy

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (08/18/89)

From article <74@nstar.UUCP>, by root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
> In article <8908152134.AA14079@decwrl.dec.com>, paine@fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> Once I get Interactive up and running, I hope to lock the modem at 38.4 kbaud.

  38.4 kbaud. Hmmm, I bet you drop characters at that speed. You might
  want to use an inteligent controler like a digiport board or something.
  If you use a dumb com port get a 16550 and enable the FIFO.

  I really have a hard time understanding the reason why you want to run
  it at 38.4kbuad. Actually there is no such thing. So if the modem is
  running 9600bps uncompressed data and you connect your serial port
  and lock it 19200 it should fill any buffer on the HST fast enough.
  That is if the HST has a buffer.

  I'd be interested once you got it going what these figures are:

  Baudrate compter->Modem     Char/Per/Sec/
   9600                    |
   19200                   |
   34.2k                   |

  Lock the interface speed.

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda