[comp.dcom.modems] FAX Modem/interface info wanted

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/18/89)

 atkins@hpindda.HP.COM (Brian Atkins) writes:
>I would like to get any information on FAX Modems and FAX machines
>with RS-232/command interfaces.  Who makes 'em, what they cost, who
>has the better ones, who's planning to make them in the future, etc.

	there are many PC-fax modems on the market.  i would be
	remiss if i didn't recommend the PC-fax product i worked on.
	send email if you would like to hear more nifty details.
	(the bottom line is that the Brooktrout card costs $200
	more than the cheapest fax card, but Fax-Mail 96 software is
	incredibly full featured.

	check the major PC magazines -- there's an article somewhere
	about fax every month.  software is much improved for many
	vendors, compared to what was available last year.

	unix drivers are appearing.  Brooktrout announced a twin
	channel, Direct Inward Dial fax card for AT-bus.  this
	allows faxes to be automagically routed to the proper account
	or printer for the intended recipient.

>I have heard that some of the big modem manufacturers are looking into
>producing FAX modems (Hayes, USRobotics and the like).

	this is not just a rumor.  example: Hayes bought JT-Fax
	from Panasonic.  but JT-fax is only 4800 baud, so we'll
	see if they make something real out of it!

	all the big modem cats are involved -- the CCITT addendum
	for Hayes AT style control of fax modems has passed.

>Does anyone know
>which ones are looking into such a product and of any of them currently
>do/plan to sell them?

	yes.

--
 ... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);6172399406;6178906844;6178591389; {}
/* */

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (08/18/89)

In article <4296@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

>>I have heard that some of the big modem manufacturers are looking into
>>producing FAX modems (Hayes, USRobotics and the like).
>
>	this is not just a rumor.  example: Hayes bought JT-Fax
>	from Panasonic.  but JT-fax is only 4800 baud, so we'll

No Hayes bought a company called Asher from Quadram. Asher designed the JT
series of modems that both Asher and Quadram have been selling. These
include the ever popular (and inexpensive) JTFax 4800, JTFax Portable (4800
bps in an external case for use with laptops) and the JTFax 9600. The last
is a smart board (80188 and 64kb of memory) which allows you to send and
receive fax's under DOS in the background while still using the machine for
regular things (like your favourite spreadsheet).

Quadram has been one of the more successful producers of fax cards. A fairly
good product at a good price. They also have very good distribution and lot's
of advertising, so they are generally easily available from distributors. Some
mail order houses have even started discounting them.

I don't know what Hayes in mind for Asher. I do know that the half dozen or
so engineer types moved lock, stock and barrel from Quadram to Hayes. So
Hayes does have all of the original design team which is a definite plus for
them.

I've actually had less problem getting through to them since they moved to
Hayes :-)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

In article <224@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>Quadram has been one of the more successful producers of fax cards. A fairly
>good product at a good price. They also have very good distribution and lot's
>of advertising, so they are generally easily available from distributors. Some
>mail order houses have even started discounting them.

	the PC trade rags usually rate the Quadram and Brooktrout products
	among the top values and top performers...  i wonder when
	consumer reports will rate these cards!