[comp.dcom.modems] US Robotics HST doing strange things to ^S

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (08/22/89)

Can anyone explain the following to me. A local BBS I call uses ^S ^Q
for flow control, and when they were running with a standard 2400 BPS
modem all was well. However they've started using a USR for 9600
BPS access, and since then the system takes about 30 seconds to
respond to a ^S. This makes it very difficult to read long messages.
The SYSOP swears up and down it's not the modem, but I've had a couple
of comments that you need to do some initialization to the HST to get
it to pass ^S instantly to the application.

Anybody know anything about this and can recommend anything?

		Thanks in advance,
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

steve@conch.UUCP (Steve Froeschke) (08/23/89)

In article <663@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>Can anyone explain the following to me. A local BBS I call uses ^S ^Q
>for flow control, and when they were running with a standard 2400 BPS
>modem all was well. However they've started using a USR for 9600
>BPS access, and since then the system takes about 30 seconds to
>respond to a ^S. This makes it very difficult to read long messages.
>The SYSOP swears up and down it's not the modem, but I've had a couple
>of comments that you need to do some initialization to the HST to get
>it to pass ^S instantly to the application.
>
>Anybody know anything about this and can recommend anything?

David, I used to use the HST on the BBS system here, but have since switched
to the TB+.  The problem sounds to me like the Sysop of your system has
locked the port rate of the computer<-->modem to either 9600 or (most
likely) 19200.  Depending on what bbs software he/she is using, that can
cause problems with 'hot keys' not responding, etc.  The fix that I used
was to limit the transmit buffer down to 128 bytes vice the normal (default)
of 1024 bytes (1K).  This helped quite a bit, but still, there was a
little delay in response.  (But considering you can interrupt it every
128 bytes vice 1K, it worked much much better).  What I would recommend
is letting the Sysop of the system know about the transmit buffer size,
and see if he/she is agreeable to reducing it.

I hope this helps David.

         Steve

     If it moves, Salute it, if it doesn't paint it gray and sail it!
Steve Froeschke         |  uunet!conch!steve

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (08/24/89)

In article <218@conch.UUCP>, steve@conch.UUCP (Steve Froeschke) writes:
> cause problems with 'hot keys' not responding, etc.  The fix that I used
> was to limit the transmit buffer down to 128 bytes vice the normal (default)
> of 1024 bytes (1K).  This helped quite a bit, but still, there was a
> little delay in response.  (But considering you can interrupt it every
> 128 bytes vice 1K, it worked much much better).  What I would recommend
> is letting the Sysop of the system know about the transmit buffer size,
> and see if he/she is agreeable to reducing it.
The transmitt buffer is 3.5K in ARQ-mode and 1.5K, not 1K in non-ARQ-mode.

ATS15=8 reducing the non-ARQ-buffer from 1.5K to 128 bytes.