[comp.dcom.modems] Trailblazers and multiplexors

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (09/04/89)

Is anyone using a Trailblazer with a multiplexor to enable many terminals to
use one line to a site.

Most I have seen are using leased lines, and it seems dialups would save a lot
of money on monthly bills.

I called Telebit and they said they had one company that had tested the TB's
with their multiplexor.  The company was called Backus Data.  I called an got
a referal to a company called Astronautics, and they said no one there could
help but call next week.

I have never heard of either of the above - and with companies coming and
going so often in this business I would be a bit hesitant to recommend
something I hadn't heard of unless others could convince me.

Any recommendations.  TB said it wont work with a stat mux, but might work
with a time division mux.

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

frank@rsoft.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (09/04/89)

In article <307@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>Any recommendations.  TB said it wont work with a stat mux, but might work
>with a time division mux.

Can anyone explain why?
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (09/05/89)

In article <307@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>Is anyone using a Trailblazer with a multiplexor to enable many terminals to
>use one line to a site.
>
>Any recommendations.  TB said it wont work with a stat mux, but might work
>with a time division mux.

The Telebit Trailblazers are fine modems.  They do many things noone else
can do well.  Telebit has taken a half duplex modem design and through
inspired software design made a modem for uucp and certain other applications
that is without peer.

However, this application may not be best done with a Trailblazer.
I would suggest you use a full duplex modem for this application.
Several companies make such a modem, some being V.32, but many are not.
Since you have little experience with data communications integration
It might be wise to purchase the multiplexer and modem from the same mfr.
to assure compatibility and ultimate success.

A partial list of manufacturers to consider:  Multitech, Gandalf, Datarace,
Fujitsu, Codex, UDS

What are proposing makes perfect sense, and is often done.  Be sure to check
out your local telephone companies local calling rates, and perhaps rates
on a leased digital channel, too.  Costs for local calls will not always
remain as cheap as they are today.  Good luck.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?