[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit modem Setup

root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (08/17/89)

SETUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR TELEBIT TRAILBLAZERS AND HONEYDANBER (HDB) UUCP

The following HoneyDanBer examples should allow very easy initialization of a TrailBlazer modem for use with HDB UUCP.  Many ATT computers use this variety of UUCP.  The easiest way to determine if your system has HDB is to look in /usr/lib/uucp.  If you have files with names like "Systems", "Devices" and "Dialers", then you have HDB.  If you have files named "L.sys", "L-devices" or "dialHA24", then you are using some other variety of UUCP and should consult the appropriate configuration guide.

To begin with, edit the following entries into your Devices, Dialers and Systems files:

 1. MODIFY /usr/lib/uucp/Devices:
    Modify this with your correct port number.

    ACU ttyxx - 1200 tb1200
    ACU ttyxx - 2400 tb2400
    ACU ttyxx - 9600 tbfast
    ACU ttyxx - 19200 tbfast

    2. MODIFY /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:
    This may be copied literally.

    tb1200 =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=2DT\T CONNECT\s1200
    tb2400 =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=3DT\T CONNECT\s2400
    tbfast =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=255DT\T CONNECT\sFAST

    3. MODIFY /usr/lib/uucp/Systems:
    Modify this with appropriate information for your application.

    hostname Any ACU 19200 phone# etc.

    NOTE: Don't forget to set your getty up to include 19200 in its cycle.
	  You may have it trying 19200 first and moving to 2400 on the 1st
	  receipt of a break and to 1200 on the second receipt of break.
	  The order of the cycle is not important so long as the calling
	  system knows to send breaks until it sees the login sequence.

    CONFIGURE MODEM SETTINGS:
    Next, the reset button on the back of the TrailBlazer Plus should be
    depressed.

    NOTE: Depression of this reset button is not necessary if you are just
	  unpacking the modem for the first time.  The effect of pushing the
	  button is to restore the Telebit Factory Defaults to the EEPROM.

    Use a paperclip or some handy tool like that to depress the small
    microswitch located (recessed) through a small hole next to the RS232
    serial connector.  Make sure the modem is powered on when depressing
    the switch.

    With the modem now in a known state, open the modem's port at 9600
    (using cu or tip) and type the following string:

   AT &F S51=254 S52=2 S54=3 S110=30 S45=0 Q6 &W (CR)

    This string (the spaces are unnecessary, if you prefer to remove them) will:

    - 1st (&F) recall factory defaults, (can't be too careful).

    - 2nd (S51=254) sets up autobauding on the serial port
	  (type the letter "a" several times until you see it echoed).

    NOTE: Some versions of Telebit's documentation may have overlooked this
	  value for S51.  It behaves exactly as the documented value 255
	  except that a serial interface spped of 19200 is assumed on an
	  incoming PEP call. (255 uses 9600 on an incoming PEP call).

    - 3rd (S52=2) says drop the connection when DTR is dropped to the modem
	  and reload the modem's stored EEPROM values.

    - 4th (S54=3) says pass BREAKSs through the modem transparently.

    - 5th (S110=1) enables compression between TrailBlazers, (0 will disable).

    - 6th (S111=30) enables UUCP "g" protocol support in the TrailBlazer.

    - 7th (S45=0) disables remote access.  When depressing the reset button,
	  S45 is enabled to allow easier customer support.  This is not needed
	  for most applications.

    - 8th (Q6) silences the modem when an inbound call arrives.  This prevents
	  getty battles between the RING result code and getty's echo of the
	  same.

    - 9th (&W) writes these new values into the EEPROM, saving them as the
	  modem's power on defaults from now until you change them again.
    AND
    - 10th ((CR)) terminates the command to the modem.

You should now be able to run UUCP between two machines attached to your modems just as you always have with slower modems.  Enjoy the new world of high speed
UUCP "g".

(For SCO Version 2.3 Use:
     ACU ttyxx - 300 - 19200 dial TBIT
     DIR ttyxx - 9600/DIR ttyla_-_300-19200_-)

(If under CD/usr/lib/uucp you have Device, then its' HDB)

(S53=3 SCO Only)

     Telebit Corporation
     1345 Shorebird Way
     Mountain View, CA 94043
     (ames, uunet, hoptoad, sun, dwon)!telebit!modems

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (08/23/89)

In article <1989Aug16.203554.3184@nebulus> root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:

>SETUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR TELEBIT TRAILBLAZERS AND HONEYDANBER (HDB) UUCP

>    2. MODIFY /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers:
>    This may be copied literally.
>
>    tb1200 =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=2DT\T CONNECT\s1200
>    tb2400 =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=3DT\T CONNECT\s2400
>    tbfast =W-,  **A\pA\pA\pT OK ATS50=255DT\T CONNECT\sFAST

For 1200 and 2400 baud connections, set register 50 to '0', not
the documented '2' or '3'. I have found that a setting of 2 or 3
makes the TB *very* picky about what it sees on the remote end.
Connections that always fail will start working with a setting of
0. There may be situations where you need to force a 1200 baud
connect with S50=2, but I have yet to run across one.

>    NOTE: Don't forget to set your getty up to include 19200 in its cycle.
>	  You may have it trying 19200 first and moving to 2400 on the 1st
>	  receipt of a break and to 1200 on the second receipt of break.
>	  The order of the cycle is not important so long as the calling
>	  system knows to send breaks until it sees the login sequence.

No, just lock the interface speed down to 19200 and let the modem
do the work.--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
    {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

   CTIX-USERS has moved to:  ctix-users[-request]@cs.AthabascaU.CA

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (08/26/89)

I have a TB+ on machine A (a 386 running MSDOS) calling a TB+ on machine
B (a 3B2/400).  TB+ on B is set so that it delivers PEP tones last (I
have many 1200/2400 bps callers to B), and TB+ on A dials out set for
19200 bps.  However, when A hears B's non-PEP tones, it thinks it's
talking to an ordinary modem and adjusts its rate down to 2400.

Is there any way to convince A's modem to wait for the PEP tones?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Pete Holsberg -- Mercer College -- Trenton, NJ 08690
...!rutgers!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

In article <1989Aug25.234529.5401@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>... However, when A hears B's non-PEP tones, it thinks it's
>talking to an ordinary modem and adjusts its rate down to 2400.
>Is there any way to convince A's modem to wait for the PEP tones?

"ats50=255" on A as part of the dialing sequence will tell A's TB+ that
it must wait for PEP tones and should not accept any substitutes.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbd@virgin.UUCP (J. Bruce Dawson) (09/01/89)

In article <1989Aug26.230325.26974@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Aug25.234529.5401@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>Is there any way to convince A's modem to wait for the PEP tones?
>
>"ats50=255" on A as part of the dialing sequence will tell A's TB+ that

I've found that ats7=100 (wait 100 seconds for carrier) helps too. The default
(40) works fine for remotes that pick up immediately and touch tone dialing,
but I've found that it can take a while between the last dialed digit and when
the line is connected to the other end.

--Bruce
--
J. Bruce Dawson			(603)880-1517 office (603)880-6629 home
Virgin Software, Ltd. ComputerTown Mall, 436 Amherst St., Nashua, NH 03063

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (09/06/89)

In article <1989Aug26.230325.26974@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Aug25.234529.5401@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>... However, when A hears B's non-PEP tones, it thinks it's
>>talking to an ordinary modem and adjusts its rate down to 2400.
>>Is there any way to convince A's modem to wait for the PEP tones?
>"ats50=255" on A as part of the dialing sequence will tell A's TB+ that
>it must wait for PEP tones and should not accept any substitutes.

The dialTBIT program will force exactly the setting that
Henry describes if the Dialstring for B in A's System file
contains the letter P.
E.g., calling 12019991234UPC will force Pep connection, uucp
spoofing, and compression ( provided of course the answering
modem is willing and able to accomodate these desires ).
--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com