[comp.dcom.modems] low priced modems

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/05/89)

In article <513@wet.UUCP>, epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> In article <984@urbana.mcd.mot.com> feldman@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Mike Feldman) writes:
> >Also, can anyone recommend any of the low-priced modems, eg. Practical
> >Peripherals?  My father's under $100 1200 baud modem-in-a-plastic-box
> >cooked itself in under 10 hours of use, and I don't want to see him or
> >me sink $$$s into that level of quality again.
>
> We have/had 2 Practical Peripherals 2400SA modems from younger
> -and-more-(penny-wise-and-pound-) foolish days.  They've never
> quite worked right, and multiple firmware replacements have
> helped, but not cured them.  I say "had" because one of them
> recently failed completely, and has been sent back to the
> manufacturer.  As soon as we get the bucks, these turkeys are
> history.

Sounds like my experience wasn't unique. I have purchased a total of
four Practical Peripherals over the years and two of them were
out-and-out defective. One of the remaining couldn't be used in uucp
service because of firmware screwyness. It would not really honor the
"AT&D3" mode which calls for resetting the user parameters when the DTR
line goes false. As a result, the modem would get into death-grip with
the getty and shut down the line. Calls to the manufacturer were
useless. They had never heard of the problem. A second one did this
intermittantly.

The Everex looked good until I discovered that it used dip switches
rather than EEPROM on its stand alone 2400 model. No thanks!

What I found to work flawlessly was the Prometheus ProModem 2400. I
recommend this as a good, cheap modem. In fact it was the cheapest of
the ones I looked at or tried. (Even it's history now; I have two
Trailblazers. Not cheap, but ooooh so good!)
    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dpz@convex.com (David Paul Zimmerman) (09/05/89)

Well, that's encouraging :-( I was just about to go and buy 8 of Practical
Peripherals' 2400bps MNP 5 modems for dial-in use.  Perhaps they've cleaned
up their act?  A recent review of internal PS/2 2400bps modems in either
PC Magazine or Byte was fairly complementary toward Practical Peripherals,
and I was hoping that much of what they (seem to) have done right extended
to their other products as well.

						David

David Paul Zimmerman                                             dpz@convex.com
CONVEX Computer Corp                                                 convex!dpz

campbell@hpdml93.HP.COM (Gary Campbell) (09/07/89)

A couple of months ago I read about a ATI 2400 baud MNP modem for
around $165 I think.  Does anyone have any experience with these?
(It was the internal version for a PC, I think.)

--
Gary Campbell
Internet: campbell%hpbsla@hplabs.HP.COM