[comp.dcom.modems] modems from "Cardinal," "Zoom," and "Evertex"

zoon@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Sung-Zoon Cho) (09/01/89)

Hi,
I'm considering to buy a 2400-baud ext. modem from one of the local
stores which carry modems from "Cardinal..." and "Zoom."
They also have ones from "Evertex," but they are about $50 more expensive.
Does any of you have experiences with modems from these companies ?
Thanks in advance.

-sungzoon cho

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/02/89)

In article <19372@mimsy.UUCP> zoon@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Sung-Zoon Cho) writes:
>I'm considering to buy a 2400-baud ext. modem from one of the local
>stores which carry modems from "Cardinal..." and "Zoom."

	My experience with the Cardinal modems has been excellent.  Some time
ago I evaluated about a half a dozen "cheapy" 2400 baud modems on our
Masscomp 5600 mini.  The cardinal was the only one that could stand up to
a full news feed round the clock and not go brain-dead two or three times
a week.  It worked as well as much more expensive 2400 baud modems.  I found
only one "peculiarity".  If it is set to auto-answer, it will answer the
phone even if DTR is false (de-asserted).  The modem was NOT configured to
ignore DTR either.  In fact, all of my modems are configured to RESET on DTR
going false.  I reported this to a manufacturer rep from Cardinal some time
ago so they may have fixed it by now.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

In article <19372@mimsy.UUCP> zoon@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Sung-Zoon Cho) writes:
>Hi,
>I'm considering to buy a 2400-baud ext. modem from one of the local
>stores which carry modems from "Cardinal..." and "Zoom."
>They also have ones from "Evertex," but they are about $50 more expensive.
>Does any of you have experiences with modems from these companies ?
>Thanks in advance.

Well, I have a friend who HAD a Zoom modem.

After months of frustration, she threw it against the wall, shattering the
case.

They are "Ok" for occasional use on a PC, but never, never get one if you
have to depend on it (ie: BBS or Unix system use).  They also seem to have a
lot of problmes with noise.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

bill@inebriae.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (09/08/89)

zoon@soleil.cs.umd.edu (Sung-Zoon Cho) writes:
[ ... questions regarding Cardinal, Zoom, and Everex modems ... ]

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>Well, I have a friend who HAD a Zoom modem.
>
>After months of frustration, she threw it against the wall, shattering the
>case.
>
>They are "Ok" for occasional use on a PC, but never, never get one if you
>have to depend on it (ie: BBS or Unix system use).  They also seem to have a
>lot of problmes with noise.
>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
>Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
>Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.		"Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

I have had the exact opposite experience as Karl's friend.  It could be an
inaccurate comparison because it looks like he's talking about the external
model while my experience is limited to the internals.  I have personally
bought and used four of them and recommended them to several friends and
my sister, no complaints.  I've since switched to Telebit, but the Zoom
internal 2400's that I still have around are the most reliable modems (other
than the Telebits) I have.  I've used them for uucp, both directions, in
UNIX systems and with DOS.  Until I got the internal Trailblazer I used a
Zoom 2400 in my luggable road warrior (Microport V/AT) for news and mail
without a whimper.

I can't contest Karl's report, we might be talking about different models.
I also can't say anything bad about Zoom modems (other than they have a
stupid name :-)
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill@ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill

merlin@mic.UUCP (Merlin Wilkerson) (09/09/89)

   We had a cardinal 2400 internal.  It was in constant use
under microport 386 uucp for about a year with no problems.
It won't do an AT&V but does everything else fine.
   Never heard of Evertex.  If it's a typo of Everex, don't
buy it unless you have plenty of hair to pull out.  The 2400
external is an absolute piece of junk.

-------
merlin

solsen@castor.usc.edu (Scott Olsen) (09/10/89)

In article <282@mic.UUCP> merlin@mic.UUCP (Merlin Wilkerson) writes:
>   Never heard of Evertex.  If it's a typo of Everex, don't
>buy it unless you have plenty of hair to pull out.  The 2400
>external is an absolute piece of junk.
>-------
>merlin

The worst problem I have had with my Everex 2400 external <It came with the
computer> was that it is unable to download from GEnie... No one there
seems to know why, but if you try it, it will cost you a lot of money for
on-line time that GEnie will never refund to you <even if they say they
will>