[comp.dcom.modems] V32 OR PEP FOR SLIP

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (08/28/89)

I'm looking for a pair of modems for a SLIP link. Should be 9600 or 19200
bps.

Anyone using Trailblazers in V32 mode with any success? Or in PEP mode? Is
Telebit working on anything that will make them the way to go?

Someone local suggested that Concord Data made a very good V32 modem at a
good price. Anyone have any hands on experience with these in a Unix SLIP
envivronment? Does anyone have a phone number for them?

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

In article <232@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>I'm looking for a pair of modems for a SLIP link. Should be 9600 or 19200
>bps.
>
>Anyone using Trailblazers in V32 mode with any success? Or in PEP mode? Is
>Telebit working on anything that will make them the way to go?

Telebit is reported to be working on better SLIP support.  In any case,
the Telebit T2500s in V.32 mode worked just fine for the terminal room
at Baltimore Usenix.  (Admittedly they had a bit of help from Van Jacobson's
header-compression code.)  Not wonderful, but what do you expect from SLIP
at 9600 baud...

TB+'s running PEP worked, somewhat less well, at San Diego Usenix.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/29/89)

In article <232@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>... Anyone using Trailblazers in V32 mode with any success? Or in PEP mode?
>Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

PEP with TCP header compression works for us for interactive traffic, with
the familiar TB+ hiccups.  With PEP we get a little better than 1KByte/sec
for bulk data transfers.  It is hard to get TB2500's out here, .25 miles
from Telebit, so I have not measured SLIP over TB-V32.  However, with
Cypress (very similar to SLIP) over a 9600 FDX private line we get about
0.5KB/sec for bulk data.

(You say bulk data at 1KByte/sec is an oxymoron?  Well, it's all relative.)

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

jc@odin.ucsd.edu (John Cornelius) (08/29/89)

In article <232@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>	.
>Anyone using Trailblazers in V32 mode with any success? Or in PEP mode? Is
>Telebit working on anything that will make them the way to go?

Well, Telebit has done a lot of work with SLIP.  At Uniforum, for instance,
they hooked the show's ethernet to the internet via slip running on a Sun
of some sort.  I'm fairly certain they were using PEP mode.

John Cornelius
aka jc%andataco.uucp@ucsd.edu

hegarty@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Christopher Hegarty) (08/30/89)

With all this discussion about SLIP, I was wondering if anyone has any
experience with using xterminals (NCD's for example) over a modem using
SLIP.  Can anyone comment on the performance?  I have a couple of
T2500's for evaluation, and they seem to work very reliably in PEP
mode (V.32 mode is another story entirely), but I don't have any
xterminals with prom servers so I can't test SLIP.

I'd appreciate any advice/experience people can offer with regard
to running X over SLIP with modems.

Chris Hegarty (hegarty@janus.uucp)

wlm@archet.UUCP (William L. Moran Jr.) (08/30/89)

In article <232@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>I'm looking for a pair of modems for a SLIP link. Should be 9600 or 19200
>bps.
>
>Anyone using Trailblazers in V32 mode with any success? Or in PEP mode? Is
>Telebit working on anything that will make them the way to go?

Yes, I use a pair of t2500s for slip. They are used in v32 mode as
this is much faster for anything interactive (slower for ftp by a good
bit). If what you want is a good reliable v32 modem I would not
hesitate to advise the purchase of t2500s. If you are willing to put
up with a good deal of heartache in exchange for better performance,
get microcom QX/V.32c modems. At 38.4k they work really well with
slip. Unfortunately, my opinion is that they are poorly built, so they
are prone to infant mortality and unreliability.

				Bill

--
arpa: moran-william@cs.yale.edu or wlm@ibm.com
uucp: uunet!bywater!acheron!archet!wlm or decvax!yale!moran-william

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (09/01/89)

In article <6991@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> jc%andataco.uucp@ucsd.edu (John Cornelius) writes:
> Well, Telebit has done a lot of work with SLIP.  At Uniforum, for instance,
> they hooked the show's ethernet to the internet via slip running on a Sun
> of some sort.  I'm fairly certain they were using PEP mode.

Actually, the setup at Uniforum (the recent show here in Boston)
was the same as at the Baltimore USENIX terminal room.  The link
was over a pair of T2500s, using V.32 at 9600bps (i.e., not PEP).
Over this, Van Jacobson's TCP header compression SLIP was run btwn
a Sun3/60 at the show and an Annex-II terminal server at BB&N.
The only differences from Baltimore were that (1) the Annex was at
the remote end and (2) the whole network was advertised to the Internet,
not just a bunch of terminals.

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

In article <30979@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> hegarty@janus.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Christopher Hegarty) writes:
> I'd appreciate any advice/experience people can offer with regard
> to running X over SLIP with modems.

Without Van Jacobson's TCP header compression for SLIP (or, rather, PPP),
its not very worthwhile to run a X terminal over a 9.6 or 19.2 SLIP link.
The results are very poor.  In this case, a GraphOn using their proprietary
serial protocol (with the X server actually running on a remote host) works
better at 9600bps then either NCD or Visual using SLIP at 19.2kpbs.

John

paul.waldinger@canremote.uucp (PAUL WALDINGER) (09/11/89)

       We've been working with a pair of T2500 for about a month now,
and have them working just fine with v.32 and the PEP connections.  We
have them online on our private subscription nodes and will be planning
to more of them.

                ......Paul Waldinger-Sysop....
---
 * Via ProEdit 3.0R SMARTNET the network that innovates!

 * QNet 1.03a3: Sound of Music

paul.waldinger@canremote.uucp (PAUL WALDINGER) (09/11/89)

>PEP with TCP header compression works for us for interactive traffic,
>with the familiar TB+ hiccups.  With PEP we get a little better than
>1KByte/sec for bulk data transfers.

We've been averaging about 1074-1125 cps on all file transfers with the
T2500 modems set up for V.32.  We usually use the modem in the V.32
configuration.

                ......Paul Waldinger-Sysop....
---