[comp.dcom.modems] Dialup SLIP

kent@tfd.UUCP (Kent Hauser) (09/11/89)

We currently run (generic) SLIP, but need to move to a dialup configuration.

I understand that we need the `header compression' routines & utilities
specific to dialup operation.

As we can't ftp, I'd appreciate it if someone could email me the additional
files required for dialup operation.

Thanks.

	Kent

--
Kent Hauser			UUCP: {uunet!cucstud, sun!sundc}!tfd!kent
Twenty-First Designs		INET: sundc!tfd!kent@sun.com

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (09/12/89)

The issues of dial-up SLIP and header compression are orthogonal to
each other.  There are various implementations of dial-up slip, such
as for BSD systems, Suns, Annex terminal servers, etc...  I assume
the header compression you speak of the is the Van Jacobson version
developed at LBL and discussed in the IETF.  There is a pending
RFC on the compression mode, and several implementations are
close to release (BSD, Annex, etc...).  Compression is also
an option for the sucessor to SLIP, PPP.  Some PPP trial implementations
will be demo'd at the upcoming InterOp conference in Santa Clara.

					Thanks,
					    Milo

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/14/89)

In article <1537@tfd.UUCP> kent@tfd.UUCP (Kent Hauser) writes:

>I understand that we need the `header compression' routines & utilities
>specific to dialup operation.

>As we can't ftp, I'd appreciate it if someone could email me the additional
>files required for dialup operation.

	I'm running slip in a dialup configuration with the PC software
from FTP Corporation.  I would also like the information on the header
compression routines but I also have a question.  Will these routines work
with "off the self" products such as FTP's PC-205 SLIP product and with
some common public domain packages such as PC-Route which already support SLIP?

	Email or Post.

	Thanks in Advance!

---
Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!