[comp.dcom.modems] MNP in the PC

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (09/04/89)

Is it possible to implement MNP in software on a PC for
use with an internal modem that doesn't have MNP?

Is there any software package that does this?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

dpz@convex.com (David Paul Zimmerman) (09/05/89)

Yes, if you check out the latest thing Intel has done with their external
modem, you notice something interesting.  They don't come right out and say
"YES!  Our modem has MNP 5!"  They try very hard to not say "we give you
this PC communications program (MTE) that emulates MNP 5 in software".  I
queried a salesperson on my suspicion, and it was confirmed.  You might want
to see if the program they bundle with their 2400bps modem is available
separately.  I would suspect it is.

						David

David Paul Zimmerman                                             dpz@convex.com
CONVEX Computer Corp                                                 convex!dpz

trepex@tmpmbx.UUCP (Ralf Moritz) (09/05/89)

In article <4328@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is it possible to implement MNP in software on a PC for
>use with an internal modem that doesn't have MNP?
>Is there any software package that does this?

There is a program called FLASHlink that has MNP 2,4 and 5 implemented.
I tested this program with our USR HSTs - throughput catting /etc/termcap
gave about 2900 bps.
Try asking

Cardinal Technologies, Inc
1827 Freedom Road
Lancaster, PA 17601

for more information.

Ralf
--
UUCP:	trepex@tmpmbx	(Bang: ...!uunet!unido!tmpmbx!trepex)
BITNET:	moritz@db0tui6

keithb@cix.UUCP (Keith Brazington) (09/06/89)

In article <4328@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is it possible to implement MNP in software on a PC for
>use with an internal modem that doesn't have MNP?

There is a package in use in the UK called Odyssey that is available from
Micropack Ltd who can be contacted on +44 224 631100. It looks a little
like Procomm but has quite a few added features.

I'd like to point out out I have no connection with the above, only as a
satisfied customer.

>--
>Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
>Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
>Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963

--
Keith Brazington					Cix 01 399 5252.
System Manager					       (v21,v22,v23,v22bis)

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/08/89)

In article <4328@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Is it possible to implement MNP in software on a PC for
>use with an internal modem that doesn't have MNP?
>Is there any software package that does this?

There is a commercial package which does this (MNP to level 5).
Called FLASHLINK, it implements a simple, well-behaved Procomm-like
comms package for PC ccompatibles with ordinary Hayes AT compatible
modems.  It also supports a dialling directory, file transfer
(Ymodem-G), logon scripts, etc.  It works fine when dialling my
BBS which has a USRobotics HST.

It is written by MagicSoft (I don't have the address here), and
has been bundled by Cardinal with their card modems.
--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

hamilton@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (09/14/89)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> >Is it possible to implement MNP in software on a PC for
> >use with an internal modem that doesn't have MNP?
> >Is there any software package that does this?
>
> There is a commercial package which does this (MNP to level 5).
> Called FLASHLINK, ...

hmmm.  i was under the impression that MNP5 relied on MNP3, and you couldn't
do MNP3 without going synchronous in the hardware.  is there something in the
MNP handshaking that allows MNP5 compression without MNP3?

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!osiris!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%osiris@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)384-4310