[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit vs. Fastlink

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/09/89)

I have been around unix systems off and on since 6th edition, but am
relatively new to communications concerns.

Can someone enlighten me as to the similarities/differences between the
Telebit Trailblazer (which I often see mentioned in this group and
others), and the DCA Fastlink (which I have not yet seen mentioned, but
have had some experience with)?  I am particularly wondering how the
Trailblazer deals with suboptimal lines -- I think I understand what the
Fastlink does.

Related -- I see the term PEP used to refer to the Trailblazer's "fast"
mode.  What do the letters stand for?

email is fine -- I will summarize if there is interest.

--
  ... tektronix!sequent!ccssrv!perry

rs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Robert E. Seastrom) (09/10/89)

In article <612@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:

>Can someone enlighten me as to the similarities/differences between the
>Telebit Trailblazer (which I often see mentioned in this group and
>others), and the DCA Fastlink (which I have not yet seen mentioned, but
>have had some experience with)?

They are the same thing; DCA licensed the Trailblazer specs from
TB.  A friend's company has 2 9600 baud dialups, 1 TB and 1 Fastlink,
and you can use both of them with a Blazer.

                                ---Rob

pwilcox@paldn.UUCP (Peter McLeod Wilcox) (09/11/89)

In article <12661@eddie.MIT.EDU>, rs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:
> In article <612@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
> >Can someone enlighten me as to the similarities/differences between the
> >Telebit Trailblazer (which I often see mentioned in this group and
> >others), and the DCA Fastlink (which I have not yet seen mentioned, but
> >have had some experience with)?
>
> They are the same thing; DCA licensed the Trailblazer specs from
> TB.

Actually, DCA never even had that much to do with the Fastlink.  DCA
and Telebit formed a joint venture in which Telebit supplied the product
and DCA supplied money, "marketing expertise", and the enclosure for the
product.  In return DCA received a non-exclusive right to distribute the
product.  Fastlink was never manufactured by DCA, only by Telebit.

About a year or so after the joint venture was formed, DCA realized two
things, first that they were still unable to sell modems (this was their
third or fourth try), and second that they could have the same benefits
they received from the joint venture by just becoming a Telebit dealer,
and they wouldn't have to pay big bucks to Telebit! (Golly!)  At this
time the joint venture was disolved, probably with a mutual sigh of
relief.  Telebit, berift of DCA's "help", went on the capture the wide
area uucp market, and DCA, lacking anyone to blame (since as usual the
maketing types responsible had left or were working on some new "big deal"),
went on pretty much the same as always.  DCA's marketing scheme involved
the rather optimistic idea that PC users would buy a modem that cost as
much as their computer in order to get fast file transfers.
--
Pete Wilcox		...gatech!nanovx!techwood!paldn!pwilcox

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman Soley) (09/12/89)

The DCA Fastlink is in fact the Telebit Trailblazer (no plus here)
it even looks the same except that it is a different colour. DCA
was simply repackaging the Trailblazer under their name. They
got out of the game a while ago when they folded that division of the
company. I've successfully installed Telebit ROM upgrades in DCA fastlinks
although they can only go up to revision 3.XX since 4.XX and 5.XX require
the plus.
--
Norm Soley - No Longer The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/15/89)

In article <213@moegate.UUCP>, soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman Soley) writes:

> The DCA Fastlink is in fact the Telebit Trailblazer (no plus here)
> it even looks the same except that it is a different colour. DCA

How much less (or more?) than the PEP is the Fastlink?

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8