[comp.dcom.modems] Trouble with TB Plus

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) (08/22/89)

I am having some wierd problems with my Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.
Firstly, I will inform all on the equipment this is running on:

	Compaq 386s Computer System
	100MB Hard Drive
	5 MB Ram
	Xenix 386 2.3.2

The modem is connected into the standard port (9 pin RS-232C).  The problem
I am experiencing is with Netnews transfers.  At the 19,200 baud speed,
uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.  What is happening is as news
is being queued to transfer, the modem appears to time out and reports
 Alarm 1
 Alarm 2
 Alarm 3, etc etc.

If I kick the modem speed down to 9600 via my Systems file, it transfers
without any errors.

What I have done to try and solve this problem so far is connect the modem
to another port (I have another 25 pin RS-232).  This did not make any
difference.  I also have a Digiboard Com/Xi 8 port board, but the modem
won't even work on this configuration.  My modem register settings are as
follows:

	S50=0 S51=254 S52=2 S53=3 S54=3 S58=2 S66=0

I've tried changing my S58 to 3 (no change)
I've tried changing S51=5 and S66=1 (no change)

This has really got me stumpted.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions
at all?  Please....

--
Grant M. Fengstad     "The ideas expressed are my own - not my employers"
Sr. CSR, Systems Integration - ComputerLand (Canada)

haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) (08/23/89)

In article <124@clleth.UUCP>, grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:
> I am having some wierd problems with my Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.
> The modem is connected into the standard port (9 pin RS-232C).  The problem
> I am experiencing is with Netnews transfers.  At the 19,200 baud speed,
> uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
> transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.  What is happening is as news
> is being queued to transfer, the modem appears to time out and reports
>  Alarm 1
>  Alarm 2
>  Alarm 3, etc etc.
>
> If I kick the modem speed down to 9600 via my Systems file, it transfers
> without any errors.

I had similar problems with my system (PS2 class machine running ISC 386/ix)
and found out the problem was the device driver of the serial port could not
keep up with the data stream at the higher speeds.  Incoming characters were
lost because the OS could not respond fast enough.

My fixed was to obtain a serial driver from Jim Murray (jjm%jjmhome@m2c.m2c.org)
that took advantage of the builtin FIFO in the UART chip (16550) in my
machine.  Since adding that device driver, I have not had any more problems
with alarms during uucico xfers even at 19200 baud rate.  I have been told
that Interactive Systems (maker of 386/ix) is working on an upgrade of there
serial device driver to handle some of these problems.

Hope this helps

John M. Haugen             Domain:  haugen@BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America     UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
1970 Oakcrest Ave. #300    ATT:  612-633-5660
St. Paul, MN  55113-2624

sandy@conexch.UUCP (Sandford Zelkovitz) (08/24/89)

In article <124@clleth.UUCP>, grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:
> I am having some wierd problems with my Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.
> Firstly, I will inform all on the equipment this is running on:
>
> 	Compaq 386s Computer System
> 	100MB Hard Drive
> 	5 MB Ram
> 	Xenix 386 2.3.2
>
> The modem is connected into the standard port (9 pin RS-232C).  The problem
> I am experiencing is with Netnews transfers.  At the 19,200 baud speed,
> uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
> transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.  What is happening is as news
> is being queued to transfer, the modem appears to time out and reports
>  Alarm 1
>  Alarm 2
>  Alarm 3, etc etc.

The simplist and, it seems, the MOST reliable TBIT setup is to use SCO's
own setup program which is also their dialTBIT! Before using this; however,
besure that you have installed the new sio drivers which support flow control.
I understand that you are using the Digiboard comm board. This, I am afraid
maybe one of your problems. On my system, I use a "standard" comm port and
an Arnet board configured as comm2. With this combination, I get extremely
reliable connections both incoming and outgoing. To make things even
simpler, I use dialTBIT as my dialer and call out using uucp spoofing.

I hope that this helps.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz

--
uucp: ...!uunet!zardoz!alphacm!sandy   ....!att!hermix!alphacm!sandy
      ...!trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy  ....!lcc!alphacm!sandy

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (08/30/89)

In article <124@clleth.UUCP> grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:
>I am having some wierd problems with my Telebit Trailblazer Plus modem.
>                                              At the 19,200 baud speed,
>uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
>transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.  What is happening is as news
>is being queued to transfer, the modem appears to time out and reports
> Alarm 1
> Alarm 2
> Alarm 3, etc etc.

I don't think the modem is reporting "Alarm n"; I think that's output by
uucico.

>If I kick the modem speed down to 9600 via my Systems file, it transfers
>without any errors.
>                                        My modem register settings are as
>follows:
>	S50=0 S51=254 S52=2 S53=3 S54=3 S58=2 S66=0
>I've tried changing my S58 to 3 (no change)
>I've tried changing S51=5 and S66=1 (no change)

If you're setting your port to 19200, why wouldn't you
have S50=255?
And do you also have S110=255 and S111=30?

Is the trouble only with Netnews, or can you just
run a uucp transfer to another site and get good
results?

And do you have CTSFLOW and RTSFLOW in your gettydefs?

--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com

ton@gufalet.UUCP (Ton Roovers) (09/15/89)

In article <124@clleth.UUCP> grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:

> ...  At the 19,200 baud speed,
>uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
>transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.
>If I kick the modem speed down to 9600 via my Systems file, it transfers
>without any errors.

This looks exactly like the problem I reported in this news group some weeks
ago (466@gufalet.UUCP).
In my case, when set at 19200 baud by Systems and Devices, our uucico
(HP-UX 2.10) wouldn't use this speed when opening the RS232 port, and the
speed defaulted to 300 baud. Flow control prevented loss of data, but in
Grant's case there seem to be flow control problems (the Trailblazer pumping
19200 bps in a 300 bps port without flow control...)
Hewlett-Packard said it might be a 'feature' of the HDB uucico.
Anyway, after updating our system to HP-UX rev 3.10 the problem disappeared.

--
 Ton Roovers                                                    systems manager
 Faculty of Arts and Letters, Groningen University             ton@gufalet.UUCP

In article <470@gufalet.UUCP> I wrote:
>Anyway, after updating our system to HP-UX rev 3.10 the problem disappeared.
OOPS! Not true! I have not yet figured this out, but it is not OK yet!