[comp.dcom.modems] Extending RS-232: plug in drivers?

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay Bowden) (09/20/89)

I am looking for cheap ways to extend RS-232 signals to
go about 2-3 km.  I've seen no-power-needed plug-in
drivers from Black Box, but they are about $90 per side,
and that seems excessive.  Anyone know of a cheaper
soloution?

THanks!

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (09/21/89)

In article <2395@loral.UUCP> jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay Bowden) writes:
>I am looking for cheap ways to extend RS-232 signals to
>go about 2-3 km.  I've seen no-power-needed plug-in
>drivers from Black Box, but they are about $90 per side,
>and that seems excessive.  Anyone know of a cheaper
>soloution?

I 'invented' one of these things in 1980, and at the time my company was
building them the all-up cost to manufacture, INCLUDING the external plug-in
transformer AND packaging, was $5.00

So, to make it easier for the rest of you, here is a circuit that will
extend a full duplex RS-232 circuit on 2 wires.  Use a fast slew-rate
op-amp for best results at high speed and long range. (the op amps need to
be fed with +/- 12 volts, or whatever your RS-232 chips use.  you can derive
this from the other pins, such as RTS and DTR, or just supply it from outside):

           |\
 TxD-------|+\             2 K
           |  \-------+--/\/\/\/--+------------------line + (to other line+)
 Gnd---+---|- /       |           |
 (0V)  |   | /     2K >           |    |\
       |   |/         <           +----|+\
       |           1K >                |/
       |              <

As you can see, the thing is basically a DC bridge.  I have run this circuit
at 19.2 KB on 2 miles of wire.  Have fun with it.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)