[comp.dcom.modems] TB+ Performance [Was: Trouble with TB Plus

pkl@daisy.UUCP (Peter K. Lee) (09/18/89)

In article <124@clleth.UUCP> grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:

> ...  At the 19,200 baud speed,
>uucico is reporting transmission faults from my host feed.  My effective
>transfer rate sucks, to put it bluntly.

What should I expect?  I am using a pair of Telebits TB+ to transfer files
between California and Europe and getting about 450 bytes/sec for large files.
Is that decent?  Our uunet connection at 19200 bps averages about 500 bytes/sec
for ALL the transfers, with both large and small files.  I don't have other
statistics to compare it with.  If you do, I would like to hear about it.

While a large file transfer is going on, I noticed that the SD and RD LEDs
on the TB+'s front panel flashes for about 2 seconds, pauses for about 3
seconds, and then flashes for another 2 seconds, and so on.  Is this normal?
I was expecting to see a long (hopefull non-stop) blast of SD and RD LEDs
flashes, but I don't.  Is this 3-second pauses normal?

In order to make UUCP work across the Atlantic, I have to set S120=12 and
J6S36=2 (as suggested by Pete Holtzmann <pete@octopus.UUCP> 6 months ago).
Does anyone know if these S register settings slows down transmission?
--
-- Peter K. Lee (...!uunet!daisy!pkl), Daisy/Cadnetix Inc.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/20/89)

We had a lot of problems with getting decent performance from our
trailblazers when we were running on our bsd 4.2 vax.  The context
switching combined with the brain-damaged DZ serial interface
really hammered on performance.

We draged our AT&T Unixpc out of the closet and set it up as our
domain entry point, and allow it to do nothing other than process
uucp traffic.  We've had pretty good luck with the unixpc/TB+
combination.  We talk to scooter, which is in CA, while we are here
in lovely Rootstown, OH and get about 900-1200 char/sec transfer
rates on big news batches.  Our local connections with impulse,
aablue, etc. usually are around 1000-1200 char/sec.  The xferstats
reported by uucp are not really reflective of your real rate unless
you are considering a 40-50K file.

The quality of the serial port drivers and the design of the UARTS
and SILO hardware make a big difference.  Also, the way interrupts
are handled in bsd extracts a penalty.  I really don't know what
goes on with the System V-ish kernel on the Unixpc, as that is sold
as a black box; it seems to handle serial I/O pretty well, though.

As far as micropackets on the the TB+ go, it doesn't seem to have
any effect unless both ends have micropackets enabled.  I tried
enabling micropackets on my end and didn't see any difference in
performance.  My guess is that scooter does not have micropackets
enabled.

Bill

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) (09/22/89)

In article <3635@daisy.UUCP>, pkl@daisy.UUCP (Peter K. Lee) writes:
> What should I expect?  I am using a pair of Telebits TB+ to transfer files
> between California and Europe and getting about 450 bytes/sec for large files.
> Is that decent?  Our uunet connection at 19200 bps averages about 500 bytes/sec
> for ALL the transfers, with both large and small files.  I don't have other
> statistics to compare it with.  If you do, I would like to hear about it.

I have witnessed a good link between TB sites average in excess of 1730 cps.
You are correct in assuming that the SD/RD lights should remain constant.

They do.  I don't know why I am having trouble, but connecting at 9600 baud,
I average about 850 cps.

--
Grant M. Fengstad     "The ideas expressed are my own - not my employers"
Sr. CSR, Systems Integration - ComputerLand (Canada)

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (09/24/89)

From article <132@clleth.UUCP>, by grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad):
!
! I have witnessed a good link between TB sites average in excess of 1730 cps.
! You are correct in assuming that the SD/RD lights should remain constant.
!
! They do.  I don't know why I am having trouble, but connecting at 9600 baud,
! I average about 850 cps.

We're getting a BAD throughput too.  About 550 CPS on a TB+ for a
trans-atlantic link.  This really sucks!  A local FIDONET Sysop with
an HST claims he gets 1000 cps on average on trans-atlantic calls!  I
thought the TB was a vastly superior modem.  Either I was wrong, or my
setup is wrong.  We have s120=12 (supposed to be an undocumented feature
for trans-atlantic links), but still get only 550 CPS.

Any help would be appreciated.  I would expect to get OVER 1000 CPS
with a trailblazer, or else maybe we should switch to an HST.

thanks
aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
- UNIX is like sex - if you've tried it, you can't get along without it. -

pkl@daisy.UUCP (Peter K. Lee) (09/26/89)

I posted the original request on TB+ performance over trans-atlantic
phone lines.

I finally decided to call up Telebit technical support to get help.
I called up Telebit technical support to get help.  The guy was real
helpful in trying to decipher the S registers.  The few useful ones
are S70 and S72.  They contain the instantaneous send and receive line
speeds.  My S70/S72 registers are 8000+ which should give me at most
800 cps.  I tip to the other site, +++ back to my local modem and then
dump S70/S72 to see what line speed I have.  I get this without setting
either S120 or J6S36 registers.  Setting these registers don't seem to
make much of a difference, so I may as well use the modems in a "standard"
configuration.

One other possibility is retraining.  When the noise level changes too
much, the modem will retrain itself.  You will see the RD/SD lights
went off for 8-10 seconds, it means that the modem is retraining.
That will kill the performance.  I don't see much retraining on mine,
but it does pauses for 2-3 seconds quite frequently.  Telebit says
that it is not retraining, but waiting for buffers to get flushed out.
My transfer speed also varies a lot.  The fastest that I've ever got
is 700+ cps for a 60K file.

Thanks to all those who have responded (by mail or followup).

--
-- Peter K. Lee (...!uunet!daisy!pkl), Daisy/Cadnetix Inc.

joe@junkyard.UUCP (Joseph Sarkes) (09/26/89)

In article <132@clleth.UUCP>, grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) writes:

> They do.  I don't know why I am having trouble, but connecting at 9600 baud,
> I average about 850 cps.

just compute it out! 9600 baud -> 960 character slots per second broken
down into 1 start bit, 1 stop bit, and 8 data bits. if you want to get
in the vicinity of 1200 to 1300 char/sec, you need to use a 19200 baud
connection with the modem on BOTH ends. else the most limiting connection
will be controlling (assuming you are sending reasonable files that exceed
the modems buffer). if someone is getting in the vicinity of 1700 char/sec
they must have some darn good phone lines!

Joseph Sarkes  (junkyard!joe)