[comp.dcom.modems] V.32 MNP5 modem

egranthm@centec.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) (09/26/89)

Am trying to find someone who is using a V.32 9600 baud modem with MNP 5
error correction for their UUCP transfers. Have a couple of questions,
and could really use some guidance from someone who's "been" there.

Thanks,
Ewan Grantham

Ewan Grantham - Centec Advanced Tech. (...uunet!centec!egranthm)
Confronting the impossible with the unthinkable

shannon%datsun@Sun.COM (Bill Shannon) (09/26/89)

In article <33@centec.UUCP>, egranthm@centec.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) writes:
> Am trying to find someone who is using a V.32 9600 baud modem with MNP 5
> error correction for their UUCP transfers. Have a couple of questions,
> and could really use some guidance from someone who's "been" there.

I was just there.  It doesn't work.  uucp's 'g' protocol and MNP
just don't get along.  After talking to other people I found out
this is something that "everyone knows".  I even talked to someone
at Microcom who said it doesn't work.

The problem of course is not that the data doesn't get transferred
correctly, but rather that the throughput is terrible because MNP
tries to assemble bytes into packets and will wait until it has
enough bytes for a whole packet or until a timeout occurs.  uucp's
request/response protocol causes uucp to end up waiting for a response
to its packet at the same time the modem is waiting for more data to
assemble an MNP packet.

See subsequent messages in this newsgroup for my "solution" to this
problem.

	Bill Shannon