[comp.dcom.modems] Summary: V21

chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) (10/03/89)

The original question was:

	From: CHRISTER OLSSON <mcvax!tekno.chalmers.se!CTH_CO@murtoa.cs.mu.oz>
Some long distance phone lines have simplex transmission of voice.
It is done this way to prevent echos in very long analog phone lines.

The guard tone shuts down simplex transmission and lets the phone line to be
used in true duplex transmission mode with modem use.

Those simplex lines are rather rare. Especially in USA.

1800 Hz guard tone is used in Great Britain and 550Hz in Sweden.

The guard tone is the second tone the modem answers with.

	From: smb@ulysses.att.com
They're used to disable echo suppressors on assorted national phone
systems.  I think that CCITT specifies 1800, the U.S. doesn't use it,
and I have no idea what Australia uses.  (More precisely, the normal
answer tone here (USA) also activates the echo suppressors.)

	From: jwb@cit5.cit.oz (Jim Breen)
The 1800Hz is the "standard" guard tone. The 550Hz was to keep
the Yanks happy - something about compatibility with 212A, or
the like. V22 and V22bis both say that the suppression of the
1800 and the inclusion of the 550 is a "national option".

The guard tones are only used while transmitting - 1800 is used
while the upper band is being used, 550 while the lower. I think
it is something the receiver can lock into as a reference, but am
really not too sure.

	From: bam@monet.berkeley.edu (Bret Marquis)
Can't answer all your questions, but the reason for having different
guard tones are because some international phone companies use
different tones to deactivate their echo supressors.

Also depending on the country contacted, different tones are used
to terminate a phone connection.

Used to be that I would make a connection from California to London and
everything would be fine until the connection was established.  The
line would then immediately disconnect...  Changing guard tones was
the fix...

Well, I am still a bit confused. What exactly goes wrong if you
use/do not use/use the other guard tone? Why this is only important
in V22(bis) mode?

ch@maths.tcd.ie (Charles Bryant) (10/09/89)

In article <4531@yarra.oz.au> chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) writes:

>The original question was:
>
>> My TrailBlazer manual lists the following options to select guard tones
>> apparently used by V22 and V22bis modems during call establishment:
>> 	S91=0	- no guard tone
>> 	S91=1	- use 1800 Hz guard tone
>> 	S91=2	- use 550 Hz guard tone

Some phone systems use in-band signalling. i.e. A pure tone of the right
freqency triggers some action. To prevent this happening when modems are in use
one of the modems puts out a guard tone (so there can't be a only one pure tone)
It is always the answering modem that puts out this tone. An example of in-band
signalling is given in one of your responses:

>	From: bam@monet.berkeley.edu (Bret Marquis)
>Used to be that I would make a connection from California to London and
>everything would be fine until the connection was established.  The
>line would then immediately disconnect...  Changing guard tones was
>the fix...

I think British Telecom have equipment that clears a call when 2280 Hz is
detected. (Bell 212 answers with 2225 Hz which is close enough). I am told that
this can cause trouble with answering machines - a caller leaves a message and
hangs up, his local exchange emits this tone to clear the call, a bit of the
tone gets recorded at the end of the message, the owner of the answering machine
dials in to hear the messages and is cut off when the tone is played back. [I
have never actually observed this. It would be very annoying if you had given
your answering a command such as "replay and erase all messages"].

Note that the 1800 Hz is *not* the tone that is intended to disable echo
suppressors. That tone is the 3 seconds of 2100 Hz emitted by the answering
modem. (To disable echo cancellers also, phase reversals are put into this tone
every 450ms).

Anyone from B.T. out there who can confim or deny this? I *know* you're there
 - or in eunet.jokes anyway :-)
--

		Charles Bryant. (ch@dce.ie)
Working at Datacode Electronics Ltd. (Modem manufacturers)