[comp.dcom.modems] Overseas Mail Order

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (10/12/89)

<In article <1989Sep17.182159.12101@trevan.uucp> trevor@trevan.uucp (Trevor J. Harris) writes:
<>
<>Please could somebody recomend a good (cheap) mail order company for Telibit
<>modems. The T1000, T2000, and T2500 are not available in the UK so I
<>would like to order direct.
<>                               regards trevor
<>Trevor J. Harris                                       ukc!trevan!trevor
<
<Many mail order companies are reluctant to ship overseas due to the
<difficulty of obtaining an export license, securing payment denominated
<in US dollars, dealing with Customs agents, Etc.  It can be more trouble
<than the order is worth.
<
<I have several clients in Europe, and have become accustomed to the
<red tape.  As a service to the USENET community, I would be happy to
<assist overseas sites in acquiring US products.
<
<Here are the prices for the Telebit modems you mentioned above:
<
<        T1000   US$795.00 List          US$646.00 Your Cost
<        T2000   US$1,495.00 List        US$1,146.00 Your Cost
<        T2500   US$1,495.00 List        US$1,198.00 Your Cost
<
<The T1000 & T2000 require 120 Volts.  Specify 120 or 230 Volt for the T2500.
<
<In addition to the cost of the goods above, you will be paying some
<charges for export/import.  Here is a breakdown on a typical order:
<
<        Air Freight             US$35.00
<        Cartage                 US$15.00
<        Handling                US$17.50
<        Sight Draft             US$25.00
<        Messenger               US$15.00
<        Export Declaration      US$5.00
<        Insurance               US$21.00
<
<The usual method of payment is via a Sight Draft; contact your bank regarding
<this.  Prepayment could save you some.
<
<To place an order, contact me by E-mail, uucp, or preferably voice:
<
<        E-MAIL: uunet!spsd!conexch!root
<        UUCP:   login: nuucp, no password.
<                        Phone: 1 714 842 6348   1200 baud
<                        Phone: 1 714 842 5851   1200/2400 baud
<        VOICE:  Phone 1 714 842 2862  During business hours PDT (GMT -7)
<
<Larry Dighera
<

In article <1989Oct3.174917.1071@larouch.uucp> jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) writes:
<
<I don't think that $1198 is a very good price for the Telebit T2500.  I got
<a quote from Peripheral Devices in New Jersey for $1015/T2500.  I believe
<this includes shipping.  Peripheral Devices is an authorized Telebit
<distributor of Telebit modems.

Of course, Jacob fails to point out that you must be a dealer in order
to purchase from this distributor.  In the event that you are not a Telebit
dealer (how many overseas customers are?) this distributor will not be
authorized to sell to you at dealer's price.

If I can be of service, my offer still stands.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

mike@glisten.UUCP (Michael Wendel) (10/13/89)

I must caution you against buying modems in the US for use overseas. One
thing that is often overlooked is the different telephone company
standards and government regulations. There are usually different
(international) versions of the modems for use outside the US.

While you may save a few hundred dollars (maybe even $1000) the modem
may not be registered in the country (meet the government regulations)
and may not hook up to the phone line (we take for granted the RJ11
modular jacks used in the US - this is not the standard internationally).
I learned the hard way, trying to install a US domestic modem in
Geneva, Switzerland. We had it partially working, but in the end
send the modem back to the US, and had one purchased locally (after
several weeks of fooling around). The long distance calls alone,
used up any potential dollars saved.

I recommend you locate a local distributor and pay the price. You
will be getting the correct version of the modem and the telco
experience from the vendor that is necessary to "plug and play".

If you contact Telebit in the US, they will give you the names of
distributors in your country. Recently we had our Hong Kong office
purchase the T2000, locally in HK. Telebit gave us 2 distributors
in HK and explained some pending regulatory approval items that we
needed to know. The telebits were not yet approved by the
regulating agency for hookup to the HK phone system. What we found
out is that in HK, a pro-business environment, the approval was mostly
a formality, and we should not run into legal problems. So we took the
risk. The people at telebit are on the ball. They also gave us the
distributor for our office in the Netherlands.

jparnas@larouch.uucp (Jacob Parnas) (10/15/89)

In article <38736@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>In article <1989Oct3.174917.1071@larouch.uucp> jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) writes:
><
><I don't think that $1198 is a very good price for the Telebit T2500.  I got
><a quote from Peripheral Devices in New Jersey for $1015/T2500.  I believe
><this includes shipping.  Peripheral Devices is an authorized Telebit
><distributor of Telebit modems.
>
>Of course, Jacob fails to point out that you must be a dealer in order
>to purchase from this distributor.  In the event that you are not a Telebit
>dealer (how many overseas customers are?) this distributor will not be
>authorized to sell to you at dealer's price.
>
>If I can be of service, my offer still stands.
>
>Larry Dighera

It is simply not true that one must be a dealer to qualify for the $1015
price per Telebit T2500 from Peripheral Devices.  I'm not a dealer and
bought three of them.  I "failed to point out that you must be a delaer
in order to purchase from this distributor" because YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A
DEALER TO PURCHASE FROM THIS DISTRIBUTOR!  Could you please enlighten us as
to where you came up with the idea that one must be a dealer to purchase
from Peripheral Devices.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |