[comp.dcom.modems] multiplexing serial lines

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) (10/18/89)

  I don't know if this product exists, but I'd like to know.  In particular,
I'd like to run 4 serial lines (300-1200 baud lines) into a black box, and
run a single line out of it to a high speed modem.  When I get to where I'm
going, I want to do the opposite.

  ------300 baud line-----\                       /---300 baud line----
  ------1200 baud line-----\_X__telebit modem__X_/----1200 baud line---
  ------300 baud line------/                     \----300 baud line----
  ------1200 baud line----/                       \----1200 baud line--

What I'm asking about is "X" in the above picture.  I could probably work
something out with a PC and a multiport card and some software, but I'd rather
buy a product off the shelf.

Purpose is to use the telebit modem (on 1 dialup line) and not have to pay for
4 dialup lines.  In other words, to save $.  I'd expect some slowdowns;
that's OK.  Anyone got any pointers on a product or products to accomplish
this?

phil@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Phil Meyer) (10/18/89)

In article <8091@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) writes:

>  I don't know if this product exists, but I'd like to know.  In particular,
>I'd like to run 4 serial lines (300-1200 baud lines) into a black box, and
>run a single line out of it to a high speed modem.  When I get to where I'm
>going, I want to do the opposite.
>
>  ------300 baud line-----\                       /---300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line-----\_X__telebit modem__X_/----1200 baud line---
>  ------300 baud line------/                     \----300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line----/                       \----1200 baud line--
>
>What I'm asking about is "X" in the above picture.  I could probably work

There are many such products.  Most use a statistical methodolgy, and some
can do dynamic load balancing over two lines if the traffic warrents.

The product we use here is produced by Multi-Tech.  We get 16 serial ports
into the box, run it over a leased line to Austin, and have the matching
box on the other end.  We are not currently using all sixteen ports, but
wanted the option.  But most of the vendors have four line boxes just as
you have shown.  Mutli-Tech even lets you choose between their internal
modem, or your own external modems.

Shop around a little.  These things are quite common, and I'm certain that
you can find one in your price range.

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| Honesty is in the eye of      |  Phil Meyer                               |
|   the creditor.               |  Usenet: <backbone>!attctc!lodestar!phil  |
|                               |  VoiceNet: (214) 991-0897                 |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/18/89)

>I'd like to run 4 serial lines (300-1200 baud lines) into a black box, and
>run a single line out of it to a high speed modem.  When I get to where I'm

>What I'm asking about is "X" in the above picture.  I could probably work
>something out with a PC and a multiport card and some software, but I'd rather

I'm interested in any freely available software anyone might have for using
a PC for this.

Even better would be something that turned a PC into something similar to an
Annex terminal server (with SLIP input and asynch output ports).

--
Branch Technology                  |  zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
                                   |  Ann Arbor, MI

The box which you want is called a multiplexor. There are several kinds,
using time slicing or alternating data.

that the world is flat!" - anon

klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) (10/19/89)

In article <8091@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) writes:

>  I don't know if this product exists, but I'd like to know.  In particular,
>I'd like to run 4 serial lines (300-1200 baud lines) into a black box, and
>run a single line out of it to a high speed modem.  When I get to where I'm
>going, I want to do the opposite.
>
>  ------300 baud line-----\                       /---300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line-----\_X__telebit modem__X_/----1200 baud line---
>  ------300 baud line------/                     \----300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line----/                       \----1200 baud line--
>
>What I'm asking about is "X" in the above picture.  I could probably work
>something out with a PC and a multiport card and some software, but I'd rather
>buy a product off the shelf.

  Since you wanted a "black box", call Black Box Corp.  Looking through their
catalog, I see a number of multiplexors, several of which might fill your needs.
I have had a few dealings with them, and they seem to be pretty reliable.
From the catalog (Jan 89):
	"FREE Technical Support - the Black Box Difference
	 Call (412) 746-5565 Monday-Friday, 8:00 A.M. - 8:00 P.M.
	 or FAX you questions: (412) 746-0746"

  Its worth getting the catalog just for the Technical Reference and Glossary
sections in the back (seems like these sections used to be a lot bigger).

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (10/20/89)

In article <8091@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) writes:

>  I don't know if this product exists, but I'd like to know.  In particular,
>I'd like to run 4 serial lines (300-1200 baud lines) into a black box, and
>run a single line out of it to a high speed modem.  When I get to where I'm
>going, I want to do the opposite.
>
>  ------300 baud line-----\                       /---300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line-----\_X__telebit modem__X_/----1200 baud line---
>  ------300 baud line------/                     \----300 baud line----
>  ------1200 baud line----/                       \----1200 baud line--

A couple of suggestions...

First, you need a full duplex modem for the link you propose...
your best bet over a dialup line is a V.32 modem...a Telebit T2500
would be required, or a less expensive V.32

The multiplexor should not be a problem...but most mux's have a fixed speed
on their ports.  Error correction should be a fuction provided by the mux,
not the highspeed modem.

My first impression is that you should talk to Multi-Tech about their
products.  There are other manufacturers out there who make this stuff
(Codex, UDS, Fujitsu)  DataRace has an interesting modem/mux combo
unit that might be the right thing, too.

Multi-Tech Systems is 800-328-9717 or 612-631-3550.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee or agent for any modem mfr.  And
no one has offered me any kickbacks for promotion...(that's why
I'm still trying to pay for the kids' braces...)

Macy Hallock     150 Highland Dr.     macy@NCoast.ORG
F M Systems Inc. Medina, OH 44256     {uunet|backbone}!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!macy
+1 216 723-3000  Fax +1 216 723-3223  uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy