[comp.dcom.modems] Please help me with a modem purchase problem.

games@maven.u.washington.edu (Games Wizard) (10/23/89)

This may not be totally applicable to this newsgroup.  If that is so, I
wish to apologize in advance.

I have recently done a bit of business with a company called I.T.C.
( or International Trading Company) in Irvine California.   This company is
also changing it's name to PC/Alibi.  They sell a lot of things, mostly to
the home PC market.  They also sell modems.

I purchased a modem from them recently, and wish to complain about that
here.  I wish to explain what happened, why I am upset, and at the end, ask
some support.  If this cause does not interest you, stop reading here.

Ok, I called the company, and talked to a saleslady ( girl? )  named AMY.
The first thing that I noticed was that she giggled ( hee-hee-hee ) before she
answered any questions.  After some time, I managed to extract the information
that they sold a 2400 baud external modem with MNP class 5, and it was 159$.
This is a very competitive price, but there had been a lot of questions
as to whether or not the MNP was internal to the modem or emulated in the
PC by software.  Since I am hooking this modem up to a VAX, that is very
important to me.  PC software is NYET good.  So, I aksed her to send me
a literature sheet on the INCOM TURBO 48 E. modem.  and I gave her my
name and address.  I never recieved any literature.  2 weeks later,
I called back, and asked her to send it again, and again gave her my name
and address.  The letter arrived almost two weeks later.  She had gotten
my last name, and my zip code wrong on the envelope.  I looked at the
specifications.  They were for an INTERNAL modem.  So I called back, and
got her to ship another set of specifications.  I dont remember, but
I think that the name and address were right when they came about 6 days
later.  They were up to par with what I wanted, so I called back,
and talked again to Amy.  I wanted to check the price for sure, and then I
ordered one.  I said "I want an Incom TURBO 48 E External Modem, and the price
is $159, right?"  She said "( hee-hee ) yes".  About a week later, the modem
arrived.  and sure enough on the invoice, my first and last name were both
wrong.  ( After giving them to her again )  I was suprised at the size.
Very small, only 7 LED's, and an external power adapter.  smaller than
I had thought, and fewer LED's.

At the time, I was just glad to have gotten the modem.  So I took it to
work, and hooked it up to the VAX.  I could not get the modem to answer
the phone, so I called ITC, and AMY coulden't find the phone number for
Incom, and then after a few ( hee-hee ) minutes, she gave me a number.
I called a nice old gentelman in Illinois who had NEVER heard of Incom.
So I called back, and had to wait for about 10 minutes, and then I was given
the number of Incom. ( thier main number in San Francisco. )  I talked with
a man who seemed to be in management, and who seemed to know nothing about the
product.  But he was very helpful, and the next day, I got through to a tech
who solved my phone in problem.  However in talking to him, I told him that I
had a TURBO, and described it, and then I find out I DO NOT HAVE A TURBO.
I have a midget.  Almost the same, except in the specs, there is an upgrade
available to make this modem 9600 BAUD.  but not for the midget.  there is
also a $150 price difference.

At this point I feel cheated, and fed up with it.  I feel like I was
led on with this literature ( for the TURBO ), and then substituted.
I also realize that I was probably a mistake dealing with a woman who
giggled, and had established a track record ( at least with  me ) of making
mistakes.  However the invoice that I have states "1 INCOM TURBO 48 E. MODEM
$159.00"  I used to run a business where I rented, leased, and sold things
to customers.  We also built a lot of what we sold, so we were not strictly a
middleman house.  But I decided that I had a legal document ( the invoice )
and I was tired of thier mistakes, and I wanted them to make it right.
This is what I would have done if it was my business, and also what I did
do on numerous occasions when mistakes were made.  (Some of them cost
a lot of money, but the customers came back, and were happy with us, and
THAT was what mattered to the business MORE than a short term loss (actually
a short term lack of profit, we never really LOST))
Also, with the profit margin of these import houses is such that I feel that
sending me the better modem, (After the return of the first ) he might
only loose $10 or $20 on the deal.  Not really too big a price to pay for
ALL the frustration I felt.

So I called I.T.C ( Pc/Alibi ) again, and asked for someone who could
help me with a problem that I had with a transaction.  The woman whom
I spoke with assured me that she could deal with any problem I might have.
Her name was Mary.  I laid out the problem, and told her that I wanted the
modem that I thought that I had bought, and she said that that would be no
problem, and she just had to check, and make sure that they were in stock, and
she would call me back.  The next day,  I called her again. I had not heard
from her.  She told me that they were getting a shipment in a couple of days,
and she would call me when they came in.  I asked her to make sure that there
would be NO hitches in the process of my returning the old modem, and having
the new one sent out.  The next day, she called with the message that if I
wanted a new one I would have to pay the difference in cost. And I explained
that I had an invoice for a sale, and that I wanted them to honor thier
committment to me, and make it right.  Things got a little tense, as I
explained that I was very serious about this, and that I would write to
the BBB in thier area, as well as elsewhere.  She told me that she would get
the owner to call me right away.  it was Thursday ( I think ) and he did not
call Friday, so I gave it a rest for the weekend.  I called Monday, and asked
for him.  I realize that it does not pay to start out hostile with someone,
so I started as if I was calling for the first time.  I laid out what had
happened, and then I told him what I wanted.  I wnated to ship the modem I
had back to them, and have them ship me the modem that they (AMY) had promised
me ( made a commitment to ship, as I have the invoice.)  In short he refused.
I asked him why.  Why would he not stand behind one of his salespeople, why
would he not stand behind his company?  he became angry with me for insisting
that what I wanted was fair.  (I believe that I am within my legal rights)
I wrote several quotes down as we tralked, as I was shocked to hear them.

"A legal document means nothing here"  In reference to my telling him that
the invoice was a legal obligation for him to proivide that modem to me at that
price.

Later on after he was worked up some more ( it was as if he was accusing me of
trying to cheat him, and put him out of business ) he said :
"I'm not going to loose money for >>ANY<< customer."

Shortly after that, he hung up on me.
I was very proud of myself that I did not actually raise my voice, and
get upset with him.  I just continued to remain calm, and insist that
he should do what he was obligated to do.

The moral :
I feel that this company does not have very good business practices.
They hire people who are not qualified to handle customers, and they do
not back thier sales.  Incom has a good product, and I will keep the product I
have, as it is acceptable as a modem. (even thought it is not upgradable )
However I believe that Incom show know that they are dealing with a retailer
who has very low integrity.  I believe that they should pull thier product line
from ITC ( PC/Alibi )  The phone number for Incom is 415-368-3111  That seems
to be thier head office.  If anybody feels anything about this, they might be a
good place to call.

However I you feel anything about this, please call ITC (PC/Alibi), and ask
for Perry ( the owner ) and tell him that what he has done is very silly, and
you will find another source for the products that he has for sale.

He does not seem interested in a single member of his consumer market, and
even if I never get the modem that I am entitled to, it might be a good lesson
for him to learn, that in the sales business, the customer is always right,
and with no customers, you don't do business.

This might be a good call to make especially if you never plan to purchase a
modem, or PC proiduct, just don't tell them that.

ITC's Phone number  (714) 730-1121

If anybody does this, I will be very gratefull.
				John Stevens-Schlick

Trendy footer by:
			John Stevens-Schlick
			Internet?: JOHN@tranya.cpac.washington.edu
			7720 35'th Ave S.W. Seattle, Wa. 98126
			(206) 935 - 4384
My boss dosen't know what I do.
(And Yes, my spelling be lousy.)

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (10/24/89)

In article <9028@maven.u.washington.edu> games@maven.u.washington.edu (Games Wizard) writes:
 {lines deleted -gpv}
>I purchased a modem from them recently, and wish to complain about that
>here.  I wish to explain what happened, why I am upset, and at the end, ask
>some support.  If this cause does not interest you, stop reading here.

 {remainder deleted -gpv}

        "Hayes compatiable" can sure mean alot of differant things and
      buying any cheap modem requires a very cautious reading of
      specifications in addition to some luck.

         I think I've been fortunate to find a very true Hayes compatialbe;
      the Intel 24ex (there is also an internal version) for $189.  I
      purchased the first about two months ago and picked up two more
      yesterday.

         The Intel 24ex comes with a couple of MS-DOS diskettes but none
      of the modem functions are emulated in the software so, if you're
      not connecting it to a PC, just toss the disks.

         All register numbers and bit functions in a genuine Hayes are
      identical in use to those in the Intel. Some bits unused in the
      Hayes are assigned in the Intel.

         In addition to connecting at 300, 1200, and 2400 baud, the Intel
      will also connect at 600 ( anyone use 600 ?).

         I am using genuine Hayes and the Intel modems on a VAX under
      Ultrix.  The first Intel I received, I removed it from the box
      and installed it in place of a Hayes, turned it on and found
      it was indeed ready to use (tested with tip(1), a cu(1) front end).

        As far as I can tell, the Intel 24ex :
           - does everything the Hayes does and a bit more.
           - same physical size
           - same front pannel indicators (rectangular green LEDs though)
           - lacks the dumb/smart strap