[comp.dcom.modems] Prodigy help

ghoti@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Alan Perry) (10/23/89)

Hi,

I am having some problems getting Prodigy to work with my Macintosh and
Telebit trailblazer.  I have called the tech support line, to no avail...The
only response I get is "We are working on a fix, we are waiting on approval
of a fix to this".  It seems that whatever the program sends out for dialing
and setup codes is playing havoc with my modem, the trailblazer doesn't
recognize some of the things Prodigy is trying to do to it.

Does anyone else out there with a Telebit Trailblazer know what to do (ie, what
files to modify to get it to work?)

Thanks in advance,
  - Alan

rstepno@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/23/89)

In article <9824@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, ghoti@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Alan Perry) writes:
> I am having some problems getting Prodigy to work with my Macintosh and
> Telebit trailblazer.  I have called the tech support line, to no avail...The
I had problems with a 2400 baud PC modem when I first joined Prodigy. Switching
to 1200 helped... buying an external Hayes 2400 finally fixed the problem.
Prodigy has been especially unforgiving of line noise.
I haven't seen it on a Mac, but understand it doesn't work with Multifinder. On
a PC it has problems with TSRs, but people have hacked together some useful
utilities (print screen, print-to-disk, capture text from "graphics" screens,
etc.)
B-)=

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (10/24/89)

In article <9824@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> ghoti@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Alan Perry) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am having some problems getting Prodigy to work with my Macintosh and
>Telebit trailblazer.  I have called the tech support line, to no avail...The

You've got to fix the speed at 2400 and turn off hardware handshaking.
I think these settings are needed:
	S50=3, S51=2, S52=1, S53=1, S58=0, S66=0, S68=0
Also, echo off, english responses.

*AND* there is a dialing timeout or something like that in the Prodigy
software that you have to set to a longer period (I forget what).

I'll warn you, though, that once you get connected you'll find that
you won't want to use Prodigy until they support the Trailblazer
at 19,200!  At 2400, its too painful to do anything.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

Captain-Magic@cup.portal.com (Randy Captain-Magic Holcomb) (10/24/89)

I am using a Telebit T1000 on an AT-clone with Prodigy and I have no problems.
I don't know if the Trailblazer has the feature that the T-1000 has: standard
and extended command mode. Extended command mode is 1:1 for a Trailblazer+, but
Standard mode looks like a Hayes V-series modem. If the TB+ does not support
the Hayes V-Series comand set you may be Hosed. I'd check your manual to see
if it can be thrown into a Hayes V mode, else yell at Telebit and tell them
to make a firmware change to support V-series sequences like the T-1000. Who
knows, they may have a rev out for this......

Randy Holcomb (Captain-Magic@cup.portal.com)
  "I find it mind-boggling. We do not shoot paper at the enemy."
  --Admiral James Metcalf, on the 20 tons of paper and filing cabinets
    aboard the US Navy's newest frigates (Newsweek, May 1987)

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (10/24/89)

}
}Does anyone else out there with a Telebit Trailblazer know what to do (ie, what
}files to modify to get it to work?)

I don't have a Telebit, but I have an old USR Password 1200 modem (the one
with no status LEDs, that defaults to auto answer, and has an attached male-
ended 12" cable).  This modem does not respond with "OK" when it is sent
"ATZ".  I believe that that is enough to keep it from working with Prodigy,
from what I've heard from some folks at Prodigy who should know.  No, of
course that's not the only modem I own - I was going to give it to my mom
to use with her Mac SE.  I have a Courier 2400 and a Courier HST.  I just
got the HST and haven't tried that with Prodigy yet - I'll probably try later
and report back if there are any problems.  The 2400 works fine.

If you can check and see what the Telebit does on ATZ, maybe you can let
the Prodigy folks (and me - I'll pass it along to my contacts there) that
it doesn't return OK if in fact it doesn't.  Otherwise, it must be something
else...
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

ghoti@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Alan Perry) (10/26/89)

Hi,

Well, after many hours on the phone with the Prodigy tech support people, and
alot of tinkering around of my own, this is the fix I have been able to
come up with.

1.  Set the following registers:

   S50=3 S51=2 S52=1 S53=1 S58=0 S66=0 S68=0

2.  In the file modems.txt, add a line that looks like this:

(This all has to be on one line (ie, no carriage return) and yes, you do need
 every single one of those commas  :-)

Thanks for all the help!  And for alll of you people out there with Macs,
call 1-800-822-6922 ext. 650 to get one free month of Prodigy.  They will send
you all the information (including two free disks which can be used as blanks
if you don't like the service).

- Alan

-----insert standard disclaimer here-----