[comp.dcom.modems] Need help with a Ven-Tel MD212 PLUS

pratt@paul.rutgers.edu (Lorien Y. Pratt) (10/29/89)

Hi,
  I've inherited this modem that I know very little about. It says
VEN-TEL on the front, has eight red lights, five black buttons, and
20 dip switches on the back.  None have legible labels.  I would
be forever indebted to a person who has a manual for/knows the operation
of this modem if they would correspond briefly with me through email
to help me figure out how to get it to work.
   I don't even know if it's 1200 or 300 baud!   I guess
I'm even assuming it's a modem, since there is a port for telephone
line and another for ``business machine'' in the front....naaah...it's
gotta be a modem.
  --Lori
L. Y. Pratt                            	   Computer Science Department
pratt@paul.rutgers.edu                     Rutgers University
                                           Hill Center
(201) 932-4634                             New Brunswick, NJ  08901

honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/29/89)

here's the Dialers entry for ventel -- i believe this applies to the md 212+.

ventel	=&-%	"" \r\p\r\c $ <K\T%%\r>\c ONLINE!

wait for dial tone is &, pause is %.  to dial, hit return a couple
times, the modem should say $.  enter <K followed by the phone number,
followed by %%, followed by return, followed by >, no return here, wait
for the modem to say ONLINE.

	peter

njs@scifi.UUCP (Nicholas J. Simicich) (10/29/89)

In article <1989Oct29.035044.17610@terminator.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
 >here's the Dialers entry for ventel -- i believe this applies to the md 212+.
 >
 >ventel	=&-%	"" \r\p\r\c $ <K\T%%\r>\c ONLINE!
 >
 >wait for dial tone is &, pause is %.  to dial, hit return a couple
 >times, the modem should say $.  enter <K followed by the phone number,
 >followed by %%, followed by return, followed by >, no return here, wait
 >for the modem to say ONLINE.
 >
 >	peter

I used to own one of these suckers (still do, it is in the basement
somewhere, don't know where the manual is).  If typing by hand, leave
off the <> and %% in general.  There is also an h command for help.
Many options were set by the switches in the back, I'd appreciate a
list of what those switches do myself.

--
Nick Simicich --- uunet!bywater!scifi!njs --- njs@ibm.com (Internet)