[comp.dcom.modems] DTE speed settings on V.32 w/MNP

In article <4876@yunexus.UUCP>, eriks@yunexus.UUCP (Eriks Rugelis) writes:
> I'm posting this query for someone else at this site, please do not
> send your replies to me, rather followup to the news-group or send mail
> to Jamie@YorkVM2.YorkU.CA
>
>    Ideally we require a modem that will, upon answering,
> establish a connection with our switch at the SAME speed at which the
> call was initiated (ie. DTE speed = DCE speed).  This is possible
> with the units I have looked at ONLY if you turn off MNP.

If you have a microcom Qxv.32c (which uses mnp level 9) running in hayes
compatible mode, the modem will set the serial port speed to the speed of
the incomming call IF (and only IF) DTR is dropped to the modem following
the previous call.  The problem with this is that the optimum serial port
speed for mnp 9 connections is 38400, but since we would be matching the
incomming call we would "only" get a 9600 baud connection.

Forcing the speed of the modem to match the speed of the serial port will
cause you to loose any benifit of data compression.  This includes running
the serial port at 9600 when in v.32 mode.