[comp.dcom.modems] Microcom QX/V.32c and SLIP inquiry

billd@fps.com (Bill Davids_on) (11/10/89)

I am currently running a SLIP link over a leased phone line with
a set of Motorola 9600 baud synchronous modems (connected to asynch
ports on both ends with asynch-to-synch adapters).  I am curious
as to wether these Microcoms could buy me any speed on SLIP.  I
suspect they could for file transfers but I have my doubts about
interactive performance.  Has anyone out there tried running SLIP
with a set of these?  What is the speed without compression?  I
get the impression that it's only 9600.  If that's the case then
I'd probably be better off with a Telebit 2500 wouldn't I?  Maybe
I should just wait until I can afford a 56k.  What are people's
opinions out there on good modems for SLIP?  Interactive performance
is more important to me than file transfer speed.

--Bill Davids_on

jparnas@larouch.UUCP (Jacob Parnas) (11/13/89)

In article <3492@celit.fps.com>, billd@fps.com (Bill Davids_on) writes:
> I am currently running a SLIP link over a leased phone line with
> a set of Motorola 9600 baud synchronous modems (connected to asynch
> ports on both ends with asynch-to-synch adapters).  I am curious
> as to wether these Microcoms could buy me any speed on SLIP.  I
> suspect they could for file transfers but I have my doubts about
> interactive performance.  Has anyone out there tried running SLIP
> with a set of these?  What is the speed without compression?  I
> get the impression that it's only 9600.  If that's the case then
> I'd probably be better off with a Telebit 2500 wouldn't I?  Maybe
> I should just wait until I can afford a 56k.  What are people's
> opinions out there on good modems for SLIP?  Interactive performance
> is more important to me than file transfer speed.
>
> --Bill Davidson

We use the Microcom QX/v.32c a lot at IBM Research.  I have seen up to
3.0 KBytes/second ftp throughput over SLIP when the modem is hooked up
to the computer at 38400 baud.

Interactive performance is slower for character echoing and ping (ping takes
about 380 ms vs about 200 ms without MNP on.  But updating a screen is up
to 3 times faster than without MNP.

I can use the modem with and without MNP or use my T2500 over SLIP.  I only
use the telebit for uucp (mail + usenet news).  The performance is almost
identical on the microcom with MNP off as with the Telebit with MNP off.
I always use SLIP with the Microcom with MNP turned on.

| Jacob M. Parnas                    | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |
| Arpanet: jparnas@ibm.com           | might completely disagree with me.    |
| Bitnet: jparnas@yktvmx.bitnet      \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!jparnas | Phone: (914) 945-1635     |