[comp.dcom.modems] MultiTech modem

revell@uunet.UU.NET (James R Revell Jr) (11/19/89)

In article <2@ctbilbo.UUCP> root@ctbilbo.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>We have a MultiTech MultiModem V32 with which we are trying to hook up to
>uunet.  We can link at 2400 bps but not at 9600.  I believe uunet has
>Telebit 9600 bps units.  Does anyone have an initialization string for
>our modem?  Or will it just not work with the Telebit units?  Anyone have
>the string for the Telebit? I'll give that a try.

A couple problems here. First, to reach uunet's V.32 modems (Telebit T2500's)
you should call 703/876-5058. Currently the first 12 in the rotary are only
Trailblazer Pluses, but we will soon be replacing all lines with T2500's.
You can not use V.32 on our 800 lines since these don't have T2500's either.

Secondly, uunet's modems all try to connect at 2400 initially. They will step
all the way up to PEP if a connection is not establised. This means that you
*MUST* wait for the modem to reach your speed. To do this on a telebit you
could set S50 to the value corresponding to the speed you wish to connect
(S50=6 for V.32), and set S7=60 to give us time to step all the way up. I don't
know the settings for a MultiModem.
--
"Think twice before speaking, but don't say `think think click click'" -j.owens
James R. Revell Jr.	revell@uunet.uu.net	/8^{~	<<[Proof of Purchase]>>