[comp.dcom.modems] purpose of the V.25 answer tones?

necka@cell.mot.COM (William J. Necka) (11/22/89)

In article <5385@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) writes:
>Would someone kindly tell me what the purpose is of the V.25 answer
>tones and whether or not one wants an answering modem to offer
>those first (in V.32 mode or not...)?
>Bob Cunningham
>Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, University of Hawaii
>bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu

     The V.25 tones serve 2 purposes. The original goal was to disable echo cancelers
on foreign phone systems, especially in Europe. The V.25 tone is a 2100hz tone that
is sent by the answering modem for about 1.7 seconds followed by 75ms of silence and
then the actual carrier frequency. In V.32 modems this tone was enhanced to include
phase reversals and is actually part of the V.32 answering sequence. You will notice
while listening to a V.32 answering sequence that the 2100hz has a "ding" "ding"
sound to it. That sound is caused by the phase4 reversals.
     The V.32 standard has an alternate method of training which is not preceeded by
the 2100 sequence; however no modem manufacturer has implemented V.32 that way to the
best of my knowledge. Should anyone know of a modem that has this alternate method
of traing up in V.32, please tell me and I can tell you of at least half a dozen
V.32 modems that will have some type of problem connecting to it.