[comp.dcom.modems] Looking for battery-powered modem

malis@bbn.com (Andy Malis) (11/29/89)

I need a battery-powered 1200 or 2400-baud modem, Hayes
compatible if possible, for portable applications.  If this has
already been discussed, I would really appreciate being mailed a
summary.

Thanks much.

Andy Malis <malis@bbn.com>    UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,uunet}!bbn!malis

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/30/89)

>I need a battery-powered 1200 or 2400-baud modem, Hayes
>compatible if possible, for portable applications.  If this has
>already been discussed, I would really appreciate being mailed a
>summary.

I believe if you look around you can find such modems powered only by
the telephone line attached, no batteries needed. Unless you really
want to buy batteries...

Perhaps someone on this list is familiar with a brand name, if not I
suspect you'd find one perusing Byte or similar mags. Migent had a
tiny modem, perhaps it was line powered?

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade         | bzs@world.std.com
1330 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202 | {xylogics,uunet}world!bzs

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (12/01/89)

In article <1989Nov30.024556.11988@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>I believe if you look around you can find such modems powered only by
>the telephone line attached, no batteries needed. Unless you really
>want to buy batteries...

Spetember's Unix Today haas one listed:

	Telebyte
	1-800-835-3298.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.ists.ca
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	uunet!attcan!ists!mike

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (12/04/89)

     A word of caution to anyone considering the purchase of battery-powered
modems. Ensure that the product you are buying has a proven record of running
off batteries. We got burned by the power packs that came with some modems.
They only hold a charge for about 15 minutes. I'm talking about 4 units; not
one isolated bad battery! Now we are in the process of having to set up our
own powering for these units. Just a word to the wise...