[comp.dcom.modems] FCC authorising charges for modem lines

Yes, modems use more bandwidth than voice. But they really contain less
data than voice (which is sampled at 56 or 64 Kbps).

If they'd run a 56 Kbit data line to me, instead of expecting me to
modulate my 2400 Kbit data stream into tones, which are then converted
into a 56 Kbit data stream, I'd be much happier. And they'd be much happier,
because it'd be less expensive than voice.

ISDN: I Still Don't Know.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (12/04/89)

From article <7133@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> ISDN: I Still Don't Know.
	At Western Electric we called it: I See Dollars Now!
 Andy Puchrik
 Moonlight Systems			...!decuac!necntc!necis!puck!asp
 Concord, MA 01742			asp@puck.UUCP

--

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (12/04/89)

In article <940@puck.UUCP> asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:
>From article <7133@ficc.uu.net>, by peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
>> ISDN: I Still Don't Know.
>	At Western Electric we called it: I See Dollars Now!

Of course, given the lack of commercial success so far and the
recent rash of budget cutbacks and layoffs in ISDN organizations,
some developers have been known to call it:

	It Stripped our Department Naked

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

jas@postgres.uucp (James Shankland) (12/05/89)

!
!If they'd run a 56 Kbit data line to me, instead of expecting me to
!modulate my 2400 Kbit data stream into tones, which are then converted
!into a 56 Kbit data stream, I'd be much happier. And they'd be much happier,
!because it'd be less expensive than voice.

Yes.  And they'll charge you through the nose for the privilege.
Just watch.

jas