[net.unix-wizards] 2400 Baud Modems with MNP "Protocol"

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (10/22/85)

In article <2306@brl-tgr.ARPA> fischer@RAND-UNIX.ARPA writes:

>With uucp, the MNP flow control will be incompatible, and thus one will
>have to disable MNP.
>
>With Kermit, MNP is likely to play havoc particularly where the end-to-end
>flow control needs to be preserved (likely at 2400 baud on systems which
>might become busy), because MNP only appears to support modem to computer
>flow control.
>
>For interactive computer access, if you need control-s or control-q,
>e.g., if you use an editor like emacs ever, then again you might have
>difficulties.

My understanding of MNP was that it was a completely transparent error
correction protocol. How it accomplishes this is not my concern (as a
programmer) because the bytes get there. If my understanding is correct,
it is merely redundant if the protocol being spoken between the two
computers with MNP modems is error-corrected.

If I read you right, you're saying that with MNP, the modem will show
me the character it got in error, AND the correct representation, and
possibly some modem-modem protocol besides. In other words, MNP is NOT
transparent. Is that what you meant to say?  I have a very hard time
believing that, particularly in light of the rave reviews it has gotten
around here from some of the computer center staff.

Can someone post a description of the MNP protocol with particular
attention to the transparency issue raised here?

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

evans@wanginst.UUCP (Barry Evans) (10/24/85)

> In article <2306@brl-tgr.ARPA> fischer@RAND-UNIX.ARPA writes:
> >With uucp, the MNP flow control will be incompatible, and thus one will
> >have to disable MNP.
> >
> >For interactive computer access, if you need control-s or control-q,
> >e.g., if you use an editor like emacs ever, then again you might have
> >difficulties.

I have been testing a couple of different 2400 baud modems with MNP and
think they're great.  The phone lines in this area almost always have noise
on them, the MNP protocol eliminates ALL of this.  While testing
the modem from my home, I lifted an extension phone and started dialing
without a trace of noise on the screen.  Call waiting also seems to get
corrected out - for once an incoming call doesn't disconnect me!

I will admit that I haven't had a chance to test the modems over uucp since
our neighbors don't have them yet.  Also, the modems I've tested, the
MultiTech 224 and Microcom SX2400 both allow me to send ^s and ^q characters
through to the host if I want to - this works fine.  The MultiTech has a
hayes compatable command syntax, but I feel the Microcom has a much nicer
user interface - it figures though, since it costs much more.

-barry
--
Barry Evans - Wang Institute (617) 649-9731 x383
    [apollo, ucadmus, decvax, vaxine, masscomp]!wanginst!evans