[comp.dcom.modems] Telebit configuration question

scott@keysec.kse.com (Scott Bartram) (12/07/89)

When using a Telebit to "cu" to another Telebit, the receiving modem echos
"CONNECT FAST" back to the getty process and then login thinks I have an
upper-case only terminal. Strangely enough, uucp works fine.

The result code register on the receiving modem is turned off: Q0. I have
also tried Q2. What's the secret?

Scott Bartram                         Key Systems Engineering
scott@keysec.kse.com                  Reston, VA

rwb@viusys.uucp (Rick Butland) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.043312.3127@keysec.kse.com> scott@keysec.kse.com (Scott Bartram) writes:

>When using a Telebit to "cu" to another Telebit, the receiving modem echos
>"CONNECT FAST" back to the getty process and then login thinks I have an
>upper-case only terminal. Strangely enough, uucp works fine.
>The result code register on the receiving modem is turned off: Q0. I have
>also tried Q2. What's the secret?

You want to set Q6 on the *other* modem, this turns off result codes when an
incoming call arrives.

Unisys Corp.                 rwb@viusys              (703) 847-2542
8008 Westpark Drive  ARPA: MCLEAN-UNISYS.ARMY.MIL
McLean, VA 22102      ..uunet!viusys!rwb

perry@macom1.UUCP (Guru's Inc.) (12/09/89)

From article <1989Dec7.043312.3127@keysec.kse.com>, by scott@keysec.kse.com (Scott Bartram):

> When using a Telebit to "cu" to another Telebit, the receiving modem echos
> "CONNECT FAST" back to the getty process and then login thinks I have an
> upper-case only terminal. Strangely enough, uucp works fine.
> Scott Bartram                         Key Systems Engineering
> scott@keysec.kse.com                  Reston, VA
---
One way around what the modem has done to you is to put an stty in your
.profile (or .login) to set -iuclc (Turn off conversion to Upper Case caused
by the incomming uppercase letters).
   Another solution is to replace the (uu)getty by a front end c program
that will ignore CONNECT FAST, (by requiring two consecutive cr.s, etc.)
before exec'ing getty.
   I have c code for both systemIII and system V that will do this feature.
   Call me if you want a copy.  Its about four printed pages.

	Perry Mathis	CENTEL FEDERAL SYSTEMS
			Reston, VA
			703-758-7000 x 7495

rli@buster.irby.com (Buster Irby) (12/10/89)

From article <1989Dec7.043312.3127@keysec.kse.com>, by scott@keysec.kse.com (Scott Bartram):

> When using a Telebit to "cu" to another Telebit, the receiving modem echos
> "CONNECT FAST" back to the getty process and then login thinks I have an
> upper-case only terminal. Strangely enough, uucp works fine.
> Scott Bartram                         Key Systems Engineering
> scott@keysec.kse.com                  Reston, VA

On most Unix systems, modems which auto answer should be setup in
the silent mode, that is no command echo and no result codes.
For a Telebit, this is controlled by the settings 'E0 Q1'.
However, if you are going to use the modem for bidirectional
calls, you must build a user specified A or B setting, which
contains the settings 'E0 Q1 S52=2' in addition to the other
values you want to set.  To save your A or B setting, use the &W0
command.  S52=2 forces the modem to reload your default A or B
settings every time the DTR line is dropped, which happens after
every call, both incomming and outgoing.  This enables you to
build dialing scripts which rely on 'E1 Q0', but have the modem
automatically reset itself after the outgoing call is finished.

--
Buster Irby  buster!rli

tim@comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) (12/11/89)

Telebit actually recommends the Q reg = 4 or q4

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |