[comp.dcom.modems] Datatronic 2400 Baud Modem - anybody heard of it ?

roh@gmdzi.UUCP (Peter Rohleder ) (12/07/89)

A shop in Koeln (Cologne, West-Germay) is offering 2400 Baud-Modems
for 359,- DM (that's about 170 $).
The brand is "Datatronic".
Has anybody heard of them, are they reliable ?

  Peter Rohleder,     roh@gmdzi.UUCP,        (++49 2241) 14-2208
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
  Schloss Birlinghoven, Postfach 1240, D-5205 St. Augustin 1, FRG

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) (12/14/89)

  I've used datatronic 2400s on a multiuser system I run here in Seattle.
They took calls for 24 hours a day for around a year, and then decided that
they would randomly crash.  they fixed themselves after being turned on
and off, but it was irritating to have to do this for a bank of modems.
  They seemed compatible with virtually everything; never had any problems
with people unable to connect to them from any less-than-5-year-old modem.

  This is heavy duty use, far above what most individuals will put their
modems through, but it was consistent with the entire batch of 8 modems.
I'd say that they got 30,000 hours of use before starting this reset-requiring
behavior.
  We buy them for around $100 in the US, with 110volt power supplies.  The
internal IBM PC type 2400 baud datatronics are cheaper.  $89.  Those're
dealer prices.  Retail here is between $150 and $199.  So $179 is in
the ballpark.

cth_co@tekno.chalmers.se (CHRISTER OLSSON) (12/16/89)

In article <9524@microsoft.UUCP>, bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce King) writes:
>   I've used datatronic 2400s on a multiuser system I run here in Seattle.
> They took calls for 24 hours a day for around a year, and then decided that
> they would randomly crash.  they fixed themselves after being turned on
> and off, but it was irritating to have to do this for a bank of modems.
Many datatronic 2400 has overheating problems. Later versions works better.
(and the internal version too).