[comp.dcom.modems] Synchronous 9600baud modem query

osm@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) (12/15/89)

[ What follows is sort of a desperate plea... ]

Our local office is moving tomorrow.  Having just found out that MCI can't
deliver our leased line to our central computer location, we're looking
for synchronous modems we can use between two Proteon routers.  It would be
nice if it could be reused as a regular old modem after the crisis.  A
Telebit T2500 seems like a reasonable thing, but I've heard that synchronous
mode isn't yet supported.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Owen
--
USMail:   Ocwen Trading, Inc., 2385 Huron Pkwy, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
Phone:	  +1 313 971-5950	FAX:	+1 313 971-0804

curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Welch) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec14.193100.6672@oxtrap.aa.ox.com>,
osm@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) writes:
>[ What follows is sort of a desperate plea... ]
>
>Our local office is moving tomorrow.  Having just found out that MCI can't
>deliver our leased line to our central computer location, we're looking
>for synchronous modems we can use between two Proteon routers.  It would be
>nice if it could be reused as a regular old modem after the crisis.  A
>Telebit T2500 seems like a reasonable thing, but I've heard that synchronous
>mode isn't yet supported.
>
>Any suggestions?

Try looking at the Penril Alliance V.32 modems.

We use them for 9600 baud dial up to our local network.  We only
use them as Async modems, but they support Sync also.

They support V.32 at 9600 and 4800, V.22 at 2400, Bell 212A at 1200, and
Bell 103 at 0-300.

They support MNP 1 to MNP 5.

They work with both dial and leased lines (2 or 4 wire).

They can be used stand alone or in a (dumb) rack.

They support the AT command set and they have an LCD display
and buttons so all the programming can be done from the front
panel.

They support V.25 bis autodialer commands.

They also have a dialer mode called DTR dialing that might be useful to
you.  You program a phone number into the modem, and then whenever
DTR goes high, it dials the number.  (Turn your gateway on, and
the modem automatically calls.  Sounds good in theory)

The modems list for about $1,500, but we have been able to buy
them for a little over $900 in quantities of 25.  I think the
same dealers are quoting prices of about $1,100 for one.

Try calling Penril for info:

    Penril DataComm
    207 Perry Parkway
    Gaithersburg, MD 20877-2197

    (301) 921-8600

This is the same modem that Black Box sells as the All-In-One modem
for $1,295. (I assume because the picture and the specs are the same)

We've been very happy with the modem and with Penril's support.

Curt Welch
curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.J. Wasilko) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec14.193100.6672@oxtrap.aa.ox.com> osm@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) writes:
>[ What follows is sort of a desperate plea... ]
>
>Our local office is moving tomorrow.  Having just found out that MCI can't
>deliver our leased line to our central computer location, we're looking
>for synchronous modems we can use between two Proteon routers.  It would be
>nice if it could be reused as a regular old modem after the crisis.  A
>Telebit T2500 seems like a reasonable thing, but I've heard that synchronous
>mode isn't yet supported.

Microcom's AC/9624 supports syncronous communication using V.27, V.29,
V.22 bis and V.22 standard at speeds of 1200, 2400, 4800, 7200 and
9600 baud..

It supports dial-up and leased lines (2 wire or 4 wire).

I've never used my AX/9624c in syncrouous mode, but I do run it in MNP
async (which, from what I understand, is sync anyway).

Jeff

powell@issm (Mike Powell "Networks are Nifty") (12/16/89)

Try a AT&T 2656B or a 2696B.
Our have been in operation for 10 months now without problems and there
about the same cost($1200) as a Trailblazer.
These are for leased lines only.

I looked for the phone number and can't find it. Call AT&T business
systems there in the book(of course).
--
Mike Powell	(need a change of altitude)
Disclaimer: I speak for myself and only myself.

time@oxtrap.oxtrap.UUCP (Tim Endres) (12/23/89)

   In article <1989Dec14.193100.6672@oxtrap.aa.ox.com> osm@oxtrap.aa.ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) writes:
   >[ What follows is sort of a desperate plea... ]
   >
   >Our local office is moving tomorrow.  Having just found out that MCI can't
   >deliver our leased line to our central computer location, we're looking
   >for synchronous modems we can use between two Proteon routers.  It would be
   >nice if it could be reused as a regular old modem after the crisis.  A
   >Telebit T2500 seems like a reasonable thing, but I've heard that synchronous
   >mode isn't yet supported.

We have finally purchased the T2500 modems and are using them
currently. They do Synchronous 9600 very well, and the autodial
features have been pleasant as well. Thus, apparently, all T2500's are
now shipping with sync support.

Lance_C_Norskog@cup.portal.com (12/28/89)

Hayes also has 9600 baud modems that do sync.  They have an X.25 built
into them that does a whole 4 circuits, too.  I think they're between
1000 and 1500 bucks.