[comp.dcom.modems] XMODEM,YMODEM,ZMODEM,KERMIT Which is best and why?

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/02/90)

>     b.  multitasking (DesqView) a graphics (high cpu overhead) application
>         in another window tends to cause retries/packet failures (yes, I
>         know that there must be a way to tune the DesqView parameters so
>         that this doesn't happen.  I haven't found it!)

I have several modems (4) all communicating at speeds of 9.6/19.2k and I can
grab any modem from the pool, dial out and initiate a Zmodem transfer and
get throughtput just as good as if I were calling out from a single user
PC under DOS.  With the HST modem, 1707 cps on archived transfers is the
norm.

Hardware?  25mhz '386 with smart serial board (10 mhz 80186).
OS is ISC 2.02 System V.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
                         "Don't waste your time with QNX!"

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/02/90)

> The MS-Kermit program has a number of features that don't have equivalents in
> the basic XMODEM-family of programs.  I have found that Kermit is implemented
> on a larger variety of computers than any single variant of XMODEM (substitute
> a letter of the alphabet for X) :-).  MS-Kermit (the program) also provides
> VT-52, VT-102, Z-19, and Tek 4014 emulation modes all in one program.  Best of
> all Kermit is FREE, Columbia University doesn't even ask for a donation last
> I checked.

What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
there is a newer release in distribution.
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
      "NO! QNX is non-standard, not compatible, and is no more Unix than DOS!"

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (01/03/90)

In article <511119@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
>problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
>there is a newer release in distribution.

The current version is 2.32A, and if you have anonymous ftp you can
download it eg from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (01/03/90)

In article <511119@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
>problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
>there is a newer release in distribution.

The version we have is 2.32/A.  The current version can be gotten from
kermit.columbia.edu.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (01/12/90)

In article <5885@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
(Antonio Querubin) writes:

> The version we have is 2.32/A.  The current version can be gotten from
> kermit.columbia.edu.
A beta-test edition of version 3.0 has just been announced (I _think_
I saw the announcement on comp.archives).
						-- Fred

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (01/13/90)

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
< A beta-test edition of version 3.0 has just been announced (I _think_
< I saw the announcement on comp.archives).

Yes, this is true.  The new version has lots of new stuff, including
international char set handling (both screen and transfer), and the
windowing protocol enhancement (which makes Kermit better than X and
Y-MODEM, and Real Close to Zmodem in performance (roughly 95%
efficiency for text, slightly less (low 90s) for compressed data).

As a fellow Kermit developer, I ask you all to do Joe a big favor: If
you do get a copy of _beta_ MK 3.0, PLEASE do NOT pass it along to
your friends who can't FTP the release version when it comes out
(which will be quite soon), and PLEASE do yourself get the release
version when it comes out (and make sure all beta copies that got
around are updated).

You really wouldn't believe how many letters I get reporting bugs in a
_beta_ version of MacKermit that was superceded a YEAR ago (in this
case, 0.97 -- if you have it, throw it away and get 0.98).

		-- Paul Placeway

charlie@csnz.co.nz (Charles Lear) (01/24/90)

In article <50876@bbn.COM> pplacewa@antares.bbn.com (Paul W Placeway) writes:
>You really wouldn't believe how many letters I get reporting bugs in a
>_beta_ version of MacKermit that was superceded a YEAR ago...

I would.  I had a bug report from a beta test site of my BBS software last
night.  Sounded like something I'd fixed a while ago.  "What version are
you running?"

"5.08"

"Argh! Why aren't you using 5.10S????"

"I found a couple of bugs in it and went back to the old version"...
     Charlie "The Bear" Lear   Snail: Box 12-175, Wellington, New Zealand
 The Cave BBS:  64(4)643429  24hrs V21/23/22/22bis  Free Access 157MB online!
    UUCP: ..!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!charlie  Domain: charlie@csnz.co.nz