[comp.dcom.modems] T1000's S110 register?

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/01/90)

As far as I know, there is no way to make a T1000 modem do
compression.  I know that you can set ATS110=1, but if you then do
ATS110? the response is 000.  It is rather telling that AT&n omits
the S110 register on the T1000.

The T1000 also is limited to about 880 char/sec or so no matter
what sort of PEP device is on the other end of the line.  It
appears that when the connection is negotiated with the other end, the
T1000 sets about half of the carriers to 0 bits per carrier.
I don't have a T1000 here to open up, but something tells me that
the computing metal inside is susbstantially less than the 68000
and DSP chip in the Trailblazer Plus or the T2500.

Actually, the system used to make the T1000 compatible with other
PEP modems seems rather clever to me.

For curiosity's sake, anybody care to comment on just what hardware
is inside a T1000?

Bill

In article <1887@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> I don't have a T1000 here to open up, but something tells me that
> the computing metal inside is susbstantially less than the 68000
> and DSP chip in the Trailblazer Plus or the T2500.

Observation suggests that the "metal" is substantially the same.

> Actually, the system used to make the T1000 compatible with other
> PEP modems seems rather clever to me.

It's the "knot in the hose" trick, eh?