[comp.dcom.modems] Fax modem splitter

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (02/04/90)

In article <23687@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk> pes@cs.nott.ac.uk (Peter Sutton) writes:

>I am aware that there are modems that can automatically detect whether
>incoming telecom transmission is computer data or voice. It can thus auto-
>matically route voice to the normal phone.
>
>I am also aware that there are faxes that can also distinguish between voice and
>fax transmissions so that voice transmissions can be routed through to a normal
>phone rather than being answered by a fax machine.
>
>What I would like to know is if there is anyone who produces a device that can
>distinguish between fax and computer data.

I use a Selcom Industries Inc. TS-100 fax/voice switcher which has worked very
well since I got it a few months ago.  Although the unit I have doesn't detect
non-fax modems, I understand they now have a model which does.  The addresses
I have are:

Comtronix Engineering
314 East Holly
Bellingham, WA  98225

and

Comtronix Engineering
7475 Kilrae Crescent
Burnaby, B.C.
V5A 3N8
(604) 420-1872

No, I don't own stock in any of these companies, I'm just a guy with a working
fax switcher.

--
>>> Dan Fandrich

Internet:   shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Compu$erve: 72365,306

In article <1990Feb4.091927.23830@ccu.umanitoba.ca> shad04@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Dan Fandrich) writes:
>In article <23687@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk> pes@cs.nott.ac.uk (Peter Sutton) writes:
>>What I would like to know is if there is anyone who produces a device that can
>>distinguish between fax and computer data.

La Cie sells an excellent three-way switch.  It's configurable, but the
default is to auto-recognize faxes, pass through to the phone after
one ring, if after n rings nothing picks up, hand it to the modem.
Pressing a 1 to 4 digit code, or dialing a 3 or 4 will switch it
directly to the fax or modem line.  This can be done either by the
caller or the callee.  I highly recommend it.

You can call them at:  800/999-0143
It costs about $200.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805     |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. | BBS:  617/641-3722     |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |                        |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | BBS line is still dead |