[comp.dcom.modems] Hayes Personal Modem

powell@ISSM.ISS.CONTEL.COM (Mike Powell 'Network Weenie') (09/26/89)

My mother asked me if I had ever heard of the "Hayes Personal Modem".
She is considering getting prodigy (tm) and needs a modem. It apparently
comes packaged with there starter kit. ~$190 including the modem and the
software! The software is $40 (included in the starter kit). The last
modem she used had acoustic coupling!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
--
Mike Powell	(private pilot in training, frustrated by weather)
Disclaimer: I speak for myself and only myself.

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (09/27/89)

powell@ISSM.ISS.CONTEL.COM (Mike Powell 'Network Weenie') writes:

>My mother asked me if I had ever heard of the "Hayes Personal Modem".

The Personal Modem hangs from the wall (the power-supply and modem are
in the same box).  It contains a subset of the commands of the
regular modems.  I think it is 1200 baud.

Prodigy works much nicer at 2400.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (09/28/89)

In article <1137@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>The Personal Modem hangs from the wall (the power-supply and modem are
>in the same box).  It contains a subset of the commands of the
>regular modems.  I think it is 1200 baud.
>
>Prodigy works much nicer at 2400.

I found Prodigy to be *very* tiresome, even at 2400 baud.
My subscription is about to run out, and I'm not going to renew.

Speed problems aside, Prodigy also completely lacks any modem
configuration file.  It was a total pain to set up, say, a Telebit
to operate with the Prodigy software.  Then, after you use
Prodigy, you have to undo all the changes (about a dozen registers
need changing) in order to restore a Telebit to sanity for UUCP.  And
if the modem cannot be put into a Hayes compatible mode (like my old
AT&T 2400 baud modem) you can completely forget using Prodigy.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX ??????        mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (02/04/90)

Someone here got a Hayes Personal Modem for $120.  Why is this modem so much
cheaper than the other Hayes modems, and even comparable in price to the
cheapest of non-Hayes modems? I assume that some features are lacking; what are
they?

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/05/90)

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) writes:

>Someone here got a Hayes Personal Modem for $120.  Why is this modem so much
>cheaper than the other Hayes modems, and even comparable in price to the
>cheapest of non-Hayes modems? I assume that some features are lacking; what are
>they?

I have read that it is designed for use with Prodigy.  It is actually
reasonably "Hayes compatible", but it only recognizes a limited subset
of commands (i.e. those that Prodigy uses).  It is probably cheap because it
is aimed at the home market, and not the business market.  The markup on
"normal" Hayes modems is quit high (and Hayes used to work hard to discourage
discounting).
--

carl@legs.UUCP (Carl E. Garringer) (02/10/90)

in article <4946@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) says:
> Someone here got a Hayes Personal Modem for $120.  Why is this modem so much
> cheaper than the other Hayes modems, and even comparable in price to the
> cheapest of non-Hayes modems? I assume that some features are lacking; what are
> they?
I think the list price is $210, cheap for a Hayes but not when compared with
other modems. It does not have a speaker and only two indicator lights, I am
not sure what they indicated. I just knew that when they were flashing I
was transferring data. The modem came with no documentation on the interal
register usage. I had no problem using standard software with it (Xenix dialer
and Procomm under dos). The modem looks much like a overgrown transformer that
plugs into a outlet with 2 cables coming out of it. One cable goes to the phone
line and the other goes to a serial port. Make sure your commuter and
phone line are within 6 feet of the outlet. The modem has no power switch it
is always on when plugged in. As a modem it worked fine for the 2 months that
I used it, I replaced it with an internal trailblazer.
--
Carl E. Garringer                   uucp: {ccicpg,felix}!legs!carl
c/o AST Research Inc. Dept 660      Fax: (714) 727-9358