[comp.dcom.modems] Need help with overriding carrier detect in modem

rnelson@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Randy Nelson VE3WRN) (02/07/90)

	I have a Compaq SLT/286 laptop with an internal modem.  I am
trying to use a program called MTE as the comm program.  When
trying to dial a number in the dialing directory, I get a
message that either the modem is online or the carrier detect is
being overridden.  The manual is simply an installation guide and
doesn't contain the command set for the modem.
	I would appreciate it if someone would send me a list of the Hayes
compatible command set or the command that will enable the carrier detect
to work.  I also get a message from Telix when I do an ALT-H that the
hangup was unsuccessful. Can this be related to the same problem?
	Please e-mail me at the following address if you can help.

Thanks,
Randy
--
Randy Nelson VE3WRN  Ontario Representative      rnelson@watserv1.uwaterloo.edu
197A Cedarvale Cr.   Disability Information     ..uunet!watmath!watserv1!rnelson

josh@cditi.UUCP (Josh Muskovitz) (02/10/90)

In article <1013@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, rnelson@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Randy Nelson VE3WRN) writes:

> I get a
> message that either the modem is online or the carrier detect is
> being overridden.  The manual is simply an installation guide and
> doesn't contain the command set for the modem.
> I also get a message from Telix when I do an ALT-H that the
> hangup was unsuccessful.
>
> Randy

I had this same problem with my modem (1/2 card internal) and Telix.

In the configuration menu, find the initialization string.  It should have
ATX1 in it.  This should change to ATX3, for dialtone and busy signal detection.

(these could be wrong -- I don't have my book in front of me)

The other problem I've had (with an external modem) was a dip switch in the
modem which always forced the CD line high.  With this, hangup always fails.

Hope this helps.

Josh Muskovitz
Computer Design, Inc.

josh@uunet!cditi