[comp.dcom.modems] Need documentation/information; Motorola

dnb@fltk.UUCP (David Buonomo) (02/12/90)

I have a Motorola (actually it also has Universal Data Systems on the face
plate) modem, model 208A/B.  I'm only familiar with Hayes compatible stuff.
This modem is obviously a little different.  In addition to the phone and
telephone jacks, there is a leased line jack.  I have the following questions:

	- What is this modem commonly used for?

	- Does anybody know where I can get a users guide?

	- How do I talk to this modem?  It doesn't seem to understand
	  hayes compatable (AT) commands.

	- What baud rates can it handle?

	- Here's a good question; Is it worth anything?  What?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David Buonomo 	...!uunet!fltk!dnb
Filetek
Rockville, Maryland
(301) 984-1542 (w)
(301) 540-8937 (h)

In article <366@fltk.UUCP> dnb@fltk.UUCP (David Buonomo) writes:
> I have a Motorola (actually it also has Universal Data Systems on the face
> plate) modem, model 208A/B.  I'm only familiar with Hayes compatible stuff.
> This modem is obviously a little different.  In addition to the phone and
> telephone jacks, there is a leased line jack.  I have the following questions:

A 208 is typically a leased lined or dial line *synchronous* modem.  It is of
zero use for dial-up asynchronous use.  Ususally these modems have no built
in dialer, instead a separate device is used to handle that end of the deal.

> 	- Here's a good question; Is it worth anything?  What?

$20-$100 if you can find a willing victim...oops I mean informed buyer...