[comp.dcom.modems] TB

dave@ttrnds.UUCP (David M. Karr) (02/06/90)

I have a Trailblazer (T2500).  It is connected to a sparc1.  It
generally calls one or two sites at 19.2, both of whom can also call
it at 19.2.  There are also some places that can call it at 2400.  I
just started a full downstream news feed to another site (one of the
ones calling it at 2400 baud).  Twice now, in the last few days, I
have found the line stuck busy.  There is no lock file in
/usr/spool/uucp, and the last conversation appeared to end with
"conversation complete" in the LOGFILE.  When I dial the number from
another phone, it is busy.

    Any ideas?

David Karr    dave@ttrnds.UUCP  or  ...amc-gw!ttrnds!dave
Teltrend Corp., 12034 115th Ave. NE, Kirkland, WA 98034 (206)820-6500
"The above statements do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer."

root@nebulus.UUCP (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (02/07/90)

In article <16@ttrnds.UUCP> dave%ttrnds@amc-gw.AMC.com (David M. Karr) writes:

> I have a Trailblazer (T2500).  It is connected to a sparc1.  It
> "conversation complete" in the LOGFILE.  When I dial the number from
> another phone, it is busy.

I would try and give the modem a sharp rap on the top. If it clears the
BUSY then the off hook relay is sticking. This is an old trick from the
PBX guys working on analog card they always used to stick!

It should be under warrantee!

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge                 UUCP: dennis@nebulus
               EMACS: Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping!

jeh@simpact.com (02/08/90)

In article <16@ttrnds.UUCP>, dave@ttrnds.UUCP (David M. Karr) writes:
> I have a Trailblazer (T2500).
> Twice now, in the last few days, I have found the line stuck busy.

This happens with at least one, maybe both, of our TrailBlazer Plus's.
Each time I note that the modem's OFF HOOK led is on.  Making the VAX
cycle DTR is no help.  The only cure seems to be to power-cycle the
modem.  We send and receive dozens of calls a day, and this happens maybe
once a month; I have no idea what, if any, sequence of operations tends
to lead to this condition.

(Hmm, it wouldn't take THAT much of a hardware kluge to make DTR
control the modem's power...)

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

rootcsh@salyko.UUCP (Super user) (02/09/90)

In article <16@ttrnds.UUCP>, dave@ttrnds.UUCP (David M. Karr) writes:
[...]
> just started a full downstream news feed to another site (one of the
> ones calling it at 2400 baud).  Twice now, in the last few days, I
> have found the line stuck busy.  There is no lock file in
> /usr/spool/uucp, and the last conversation appeared to end with
> "conversation complete" in the LOGFILE.  When I dial the number from
> another phone, it is busy.

I have the same problem with user's who call my mailbox at 2400 baud.
I have a T2500 connected to a 386 with running Xenix 2.3.2 GT on it.
Once some of the users logged into the system (with lightspeed 2400c or
patriote modems) they will hang after a while being online and doing
nothing special. Their modem speed LEDs start to flash and there is no
other possibility for them but to hang up the phone line and reset their
local modems. The T2500 does not recognize these hangups and stays online
until I kill the running processes attached to the device.
The problem increased after having built in the new revision of the  modem's
operating system a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions?

Karsten schramm

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ks%salyko@{doit|chi}.sub.org; voice: 49-89-561941
                 The CUBE Mailbox System
       Karsten Schramm, Munich (FidoNet: 2:246/3.3)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

fkk@stasys.UUCP (Frank Kaefer) (02/10/90)

> rootcsh@salyko.UUCP (Super user) writes (12:23 pm  Feb  8, 1990 in stasys:comp.dcom.modems):
>
> Once some of the users logged into the system (with lightspeed 2400c or
> patriote modems) they will hang after a while being online and doing
> nothing special. Their modem speed LEDs start to flash and there is no
> other possibility for them but to hang up the phone line and reset their
> local modems. The T2500 does not recognize these hangups and stays online

Yes, that's true. Btw: it was a Patriot 2400e from Anchor.

It seems to me that the T2500 tries to set the remote modem in
test- or remote-programming mode.

Any suggestions ?

P.S.: Now I also use a TB and all my problems are gone :)
---
+--------------------------------+ Darkness all around us
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.UUCP | We don't close our eyes
|   (Compuserve: 72427,2101)     | No one's gonna ground us
|          (BIX: fkaefer)        | We were born to fly
|     Starnberg, West Germany    | Comin' at us no stopping
+--------------------------------+ Born to amplify    [Carry On - Manowar]

brad@microm.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) (02/12/90)

With all the posts on here about Telebit problems, there's one thing I
don't quite understand. Why don't you guy's include a list of your
register setup (which also has the ROM rev. BTW). Alot can be learned/
compared with this info, and IMHO would result in some more concrete
solutions. I have also gone through some gryations while getting my
T2500,T1000 and Trailblazer+ all talking to each other (all working ok
now w/ decent t-put).

No flames please!(ouch!!) ... just think this would help.

--
I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
	   -== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
     ...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm		     | 602/894-5526