[comp.dcom.modems] Fax modem splitter: WHY?

a2@mindlink.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) (02/10/90)

> jamin writes:
>
> I have thought of doing the same thing before, getting a fax-modem-voice
> "multiplexer."  But the box costs more than $300, last time I checked.
> For that money, I could have two more lines installed and have better
> access to my phone, modem, and fax.  Why would one want to pay the same
> amount of money (or maybe more) for less accessibility?

I don't know what American rates are like (anyone?) but in B.C. a business
phone line can cost you $65/month depending on just where you are located.
Having one less phone line saves you almost $800/year - well worth a $300
investment.

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)576-1214, login as Guest

jamin@alcor.usc.edu (Sugih Jamin) (02/11/90)

Hello,

I have thought of doing the same thing before, getting a fax-modem-voice
"multiplexer."  But the box costs more than $300, last time I checked.
For that money, I could have two more lines installed and have better
access to my phone, modem, and fax.  Why would one want to pay the same
amount of money (or maybe more) for less accessibility?

The same is true with those fax-and-modem-in-one boxes.  Why would I want
to pay for both features if I can use only one at any one time?  Usually
this kind of fax-and-modem box has a 9600 baud fax and a 2400 baud modem,
for around $500.  For that money, I could have gotten a 9600 baud standalone
fax (not a fax machine, but a standalone fax box that works with the computer)
plus a 2400 baud modem and an extra line.  It would be great, of course,
if there is a 9600 baud fax-and-modem that allows one to connect up two
lines to it, that will operate concurrently, and that can automatically
recognize an incoming call as a fax, modem, or voice connection.

Please let me know if there is a good justification for either contraptions.

sugih

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (02/12/90)

In article <1105@mindlink.UUCP>, a2@mindlink.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) writes:
> I don't know what American rates are like (anyone?) but in B.C. a business
> phone line can cost you $65/month depending on just where you are located.
> Having one less phone line saves you almost $800/year - well worth a $300
> investment.

Here in Indiana we pay $18/month for personal lines, and $45/month for
business.  In Florida (Winter Park) the going rate for personal lines
is as low as $12/month (without the add-on services).

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
               4 inbound dialup high speed line public access system

In article <8027@chaph.usc.edu> jamin@alcor.usc.edu (Sugih Jamin) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have thought of doing the same thing before, getting a fax-modem-voice
>"multiplexer."  But the box costs more than $300, last time I checked.
>For that money, I could have two more lines installed and have better
>access to my phone, modem, and fax.  Why would one want to pay the same
>amount of money (or maybe more) for less accessibility?
I did it for a couple reasons, the primary one being that New England
Telephone took 6 months to transfer two phone lines when I moved
10 blocks, and one of them still doesn't work.
It also makes it easier on my business card (one phone number for fax
and voice).  Finally I figure it will pay for itself in about two years
given the monthly charges for a line.

>for around $500.  For that money, I could have gotten a 9600 baud standalone
>fax (not a fax machine, but a standalone fax box that works with the computer)
Where? I've never seen one.

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805     |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. | BBS:  617/641-3722     |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |                        |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | BBS line is still dead |