[comp.dcom.modems] review of a good/cheap 2400 bps modem

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Jan27.183035.4117@aai.uu.net> leo@aai.UU.NET (Leo Pinard) writes:
>I frequently see messages from people asking if this cheap modem or that cheap
>modem is any good.  People are interested in them, but worried about getting a
>piece of junk, so they want to know if anyone else has taken the chance and
>bought one.  I thought others might be interested in hearing about my
>experiences with a particular cheap external 2400 bps modem - the MAX 2400 by
>Maxon (816 891-1093).

This Maxon modem sounds good, but watch out for a modem of name Xtron.  The
model I got was MX-2400 and it is really a piece of sh*t.  The only thing
good I can say about it is once you get a connection it seems to work ok,
but getting the connection is another story.  I will not bore you with all
the gory details, just take my advice and avoid this brand of modem.  And
just so you don't think I just happen to get a lemmon, I have had two other
people tell me they have had problems with this brand of modem as well.

Type at you later,

Keith

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
Apollo Computer                            wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
USMAIL:                          EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                   cantrell@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton TX 75007                           or
                                   ...!attctc!digi!kcantrel

eesnir@vmsa.technion.ac.il (02/13/90)

In message-ID: <1990Jan27.183035.4117@aai.uu.net> Leo Pinard writes

>I frequently see messages from people asking if this cheap modem or that cheap
>modem is any good.  People are interested in them, but worried about getting a
>piece of junk, so they want to know if anyone else has taken the chance and
>bought one.  I thought others might be interested in hearing about my
>experiences with a particular cheap external 2400 bps modem - the MAX 2400 by
>Maxon (816 891-1093).

And mentioned exact details. One question: what is the MNP class of the modem?

Nir Tal.