[comp.dcom.modems] USR Dealer Program STINKS!

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (02/06/90)

It's a real shame that though USR makes a high quality
product, the director of their Reseller Program
is rude and unhelpful!!

Personally, I am a private computer consultant who is sincerely
interested in selling as many USR HST's as possible...
I am a student at the University of Illinois and the primary
area of my sales would be to other students...

However, when I talked to Jim Summers, the director of
the program, he basically told me right in my face that
"he didn't think I ran a legitimate business".... He then
asked me a whole bunch of questions as if he was a
N*ZI interrogator (trying to prove that I didn't know a thing about
computers...)  In any event, I told him that it
was my sincere interest to sell USR HST modems to students... He then
wanted PERSONAL LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION from my clients
and when I told him that most of my clients right now are
students and other older adults back in my hometown, he told
me with a mocking laugh, that he wouldn't take the
recommendation or word of ANY STUDENTS!!

I personally fell that the descrimation of students
is a very wrong thing.. Hmmm, I wonder if Mr. Summers ever consider himself
once a STUDENT???  In any event, I believe students should be treated just as
equally as other people.. Mr. Summers claimed that he would only
accept letters from BIG BUSINESSES... Obviously he didn't think the
college sector is a important business area....  Apple and IBM sure does as
it supports students through loans....

Enough said.. I hope anyone who reads this would send
me some kind of feedback on what you think of Mr. Jim
Summers attitude... Thanks

George Wang

--
George Wang
University of Illinois

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb6.010752.11968@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
> It's a real shame that though USR makes a high quality
> product, the director of their Reseller Program...

The real problem with their re-seller program is that their
distributors sell direct to the public.  No VAR wants to sell a
product if the end-user can buy it at the same price as the VAR
does.

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: (201 | 908) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.			Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net

jamin@alcor.usc.edu (Sugih Jamin) (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb6.010752.11968@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
>It's a real shame that though USR makes a high quality
>product, the director of their Reseller Program
>is rude and unhelpful!!
>
>Enough said.. I hope anyone who reads this would send
>me some kind of feedback on what you think of Mr. Jim
>Summers attitude... Thanks

I called up USR's tech support the other day to ask them the differences
between the three 9600 baud models they have.  The person I talked to was
not very patient.  I ended up being more confused than before I called them.
Hayes is not any friendlier either.  I guess I'll just get a Racl-Vadic,
or an UDS, or an Avatex, or a MultiTech, or a LightSpeed.  Did somebody
say that Telebit 2500+ supports v.32, v.42, and v.42bis?

sugih

garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) (02/12/90)

> >It's a real shame that though USR makes a high quality
> >product, the director of their Reseller Program
> >is rude and unhelpful!!
> >
> >Enough said.. I hope anyone who reads this would send
> >me some kind of feedback on what you think of Mr. Jim
> >Summers attitude... Thanks
> >
> I called up USR's tech support the other day to ask them the differences

> or an UDS, or an Avatex, or a MultiTech, or a LightSpeed.  Did somebody
> say that Telebit 2500+ supports v.32, v.42, and v.42bis?

Yes, the 2500 support v.32. Telebit has told me that the next software
upgrade will support v.42. Zoom!!! Telebit has been extremely helpful,
in all cases (sales, support, service).

--

Joe Garvey                       UUCP: {apple,backbone}!versatc!mips!cmic!garvey
California Microwave             Internet: garvey%cmic@mips.com

TERRY@SPCVXA.BITNET ("Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr") (02/12/90)

> I called up USR's tech support the other day to ask them the differences
> between the three 9600 baud models they have.  The person I talked to was
> not very patient.  I ended up being more confused than before I called them.
> Hayes is not any friendlier either.  I guess I'll just get a Racl-Vadic,
> or an UDS, or an Avatex, or a MultiTech, or a LightSpeed.  Did somebody
> say that Telebit 2500+ supports v.32, v.42, and v.42bis?

  I sent a private message responding to the original post. I suppose I should
post the relevant points here and then comment on the latest posting.

  USR (and many other companies) have a multi-tiered distribution system.
USR sells to distributors who sell to dealers who sell to end users. Their
sales and tech support offices are set up to talk to the resellers, not the
end user.

  They _should_ be steering you to a reseller in your area who can give you
the level of service you want. Some sell the product with a miniscule mark-
up and provide little or no support. These are good if you already know what
you want and you want to pay the lowest price you can. Other resellers will
come to your business (or home) with manuals, literature sheets, etc. and
work with you to determine the configuration that will best serve your needs.
And, of course, there are those in between the two endpoints.

  I have dealt with several USR resellers and have had no complaints. I have
purchased modems from them either singly or in batches up to several dozen
per order. I've also been able to get pricing within 5% of the qty 100 price
from USR.

  I suspect some of the confusion may result from other modem vendors who
agressively pursue end-user sales directly.

  By the way, the models of high-speed USR modems that I know about are:

  HST - Has had several flavors. It uses a USR-proprietary modulation scheme
which initially had 9600 one way and 450 the other with MNP 3. I believe they
are now up to 14400/600 with MNP 5.

  V.32 - Uses the industry-standard 9600 modulation scheme, MNP 5, etc.

  Dual Standard - Combines the two above models into one which will answer
either type of incoming call, and make outgoing calls in whatever mode you
wish.

  These units come in your choice of stand-alone (tabletop) or rack-mount
(up to 15 units in a rack with 1 or 2 power supplies).

  I hope this helps...

        Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
        terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
        terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381

pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto) (02/14/90)

In article <238@cmic.UUCP>, garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) writes:

> > > [ ... Deleted bad experience with USR ... ]
> > >
> > [ ... ]
> > Did somebody say that Telebit 2500+ supports v.32, v.42, and v.42bis?
>
> Yes, the 2500 support v.32. Telebit has told me that the next software
> upgrade will support v.42. Zoom!!! Telebit has been extremely helpful,
> in all cases (sales, support, service).

That is pleasant news - I recently got a T2500 for rwing, and am
extremely happy with its performance in all modes (PEP, V.32 with and
without MNP on, and low speed with/without MNP.  I have noticed that
it has quite a bit less noise at 2400 than a couple of other 2400 bps
modems I have - all except the T2500 have made connections that
produce normal looking output until host stops at a prompt, then
garbage slowly dribbles across the screen.  The T2500 has yet to do
that to me.  I have neglected to send in the card, I will have to do
that, getting the V.42 upgrade will be a must, with the new modems
coming out that will support this mode.

Telebits are not cheap, but they are definitely a well designed and
trouble-free product, at least so far, and the folks at the factory
are quick to respond to e-mail asking some sort of question.  One can
definitely do a lot WORSE than going for a Telebit.

... Just a satisfied customer.
--
pat@rwing                                       (Pat Myrto),  Seattle, WA
                            ...!uunet!pilchuck!rwing!pat