[comp.dcom.modems] EIA-232 full duplex RTS/CTS flow control standard proposal

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (02/24/90)

In article <511199@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> In article <1065@rwing.UUCP>, pat@rwing.UUCP (Pat Myrto {rwing}) writes:
> > machine, it would be nice to know UP FRONT who does and who does NOT
> > support the RTS/CTS flow control.  Often its pointless to ask the
>
> SCO Xenix does - 386/ix doesn't (as distributed).

Hmmm.... SCO Xenix's standard device driver's RTS/CTS flow control (I'm
at revision 2.3.2) _still_ doesn't work properly.  They seem to have
a) treated CTS as an edge-triggered signal and b) made it share the same
flag as is used by XON/XOFF flow control. This causes _serious_ problems
when you need both flavours of flow control simultaneously (can you say
interactive sessions on a speed buffered modem? I knew you could...)

I have used Specialix Systems' SI intelligent serial adaptor, and their
drivers do flow control properly.  This seems to be an exceptional case :-(
--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo@robobar.Co.Uk   Phone: +44 1 991 1142    Fax: +44 1 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.