[comp.dcom.modems] How much faster is ZMODEM?

dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) (02/27/90)

How much faster is Zmodem than, say, Ymodem Batch (which I
currently use because some BBS's give you a "log off after
download" option, which I find attractive).  Since it costs
money to register, I'll have to analyze how much I'd save
in long distance or message unit fees.

I have a 2400 baud modem, in case that matters.

David Barnes
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!apd!dbarnes     415/852-2365
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA  94303

gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (02/28/90)

In article <51@garth.UUCP> dbarnes@garth.UUCP (Dave Barnes) writes:
>How much faster is Zmodem than, say, Ymodem Batch (which I
>currently use because some BBS's give you a "log off after
>download" option, which I find attractive).  Since it costs
>money to register, I'll have to analyze how much I'd save
>in long distance or message unit fees.
>
>I have a 2400 baud modem, in case that matters.

From my experience with my ATI 2400etc/e which is an MNP-equipped
modem, I have gotten about 270cps at best with Zmodem and MNP.  Without
MNP, I usually get 236+cps which is about 95% efficiency.  However,
the best thing about Zmodem is that it is much more robust than
Ymodem; it has dynamic packet sizing and can resume a transfer even if
you lose connection.