[comp.dcom.modems] Xmodem 1K

jimmyp@ddesp2.Dundee.NCR.co.uk (Jim Piggot) (02/28/90)

I am looking for a technical manual containing concise information on the file
transfer protocol Xmodem 1K. I have the reference material Xmodem, CRC Xmodem,
WXmodem File Transfer Protocols written by Peter Boswell but this does not
contain any information on Xmodem 1K. If anyone can give me source of
reference I would be most grateful.

ncpmont@pepsi.amd.com (Mark Montgomery) (03/01/90)

In article <200@ddesp2.Dundee.NCR.co.uk> jimmyp@ddesp2.Dundee.NCR.co.uk (Jim Piggot) writes:
>I am looking for a technical manual containing concise information on the file
>transfer protocol Xmodem 1K. I have the reference material Xmodem, CRC Xmodem,
>WXmodem File Transfer Protocols written by Peter Boswell but this does not
>contain any information on Xmodem 1K. If anyone can give me source of
>reference I would be most grateful.

I hope that you're not implying that someone named "boswell" wrote the gamut
of the "X"modem programs?
To the best of my recollection it was Ward Christensen who wrote the original
"xmodem" program (and implemented it on quite a few systems) or maybe I should
qualify that by saying that he 'specified' the protocol.  Any of the many
variants on this protocol are directly traceable to his work.
If you are really serious about finding out more on the subject, I suggest you
find a library or old hacker w/ "Dr.Dobbs Journals" or "Byte Magazines" from
around 1976 or so (+ or - a year).
						Mark

					Mark