[comp.dcom.modems] V.32bis?

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (04/07/90)

    Does anybody have the scoop on V.32bis? I came across the following
 excerpt on FidoNet.
    Toby can you verify this?

>  ... it is my understanding that v.32bis is the CCITT's name for
> the higher speed v.32 standard being proposed, 14.4 and maybe
> higher.  My info is from Toby Nixon, Principle Engineer at Hayes
> and member of the CCITT committee working on v.32 / v.42 items.

  "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
    esteem those who think alike rather than those who think differently."
                                                       -Nietzsche
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

tnixon@hsfmsh.UUCP (Toby Nixon) (04/13/90)

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:

-     Does anybody have the scoop on V.32bis? I came across the
- following  excerpt on FidoNet.     Toby can you verify this?

The CCITT Special Rapporteur's Group on V.32 extensions met in
Atlanta, 26-28 February 1990. At that meeting, we agreed that the
extended V.32 standard would be known as "V.32 bis"; that it would
include speeds of 4800, 7200, 9600, 12000, and 14400; that it would
be backward compatible with existing V.32 modems; that the
modulation techniques at 12000 and 14400 would be the same as used
in V.33; and a few other points.  The remaining points of
disagreement are on issues such as (a) does V.32bis always operate
in the same speed in both directions, or is operation at different
speeds desirable; (b) should the modems be able to signal
time-division multiplexer configuration information, for use in
dial-backup of V.33 modems; and (c) should the modems have a new
mechanism for quickly shifting speeds up and down when line
conditions change (the existing V.32 mechanism involves a complete
retrain, about 2-3 seconds minimum).

There is a very good chance that these issues will be resolved at
the meeting of Study Group XVII in Geneva, 19-27 April.  I'll be
there, and will let you know the results.

	-- Toby

Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer     Fax:    +1-404-441-1213  Telex: 6502670805
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc.  Voice:  +1-404-449-8791  CIS:    70271,404
Norcross, Georgia, USA             BBS:     1-800-US-HAYES  MCI:       TNIXON
                                   Telemail: T.NIXON/HAYES  AT&T:     !tnixon
UUCP:   ...!uunet!attmail!tnixon   Internet:         70271.404@compuserve.com
MHS:    C=US / AD=ATTMAIL / PN=TOBY_L_NIXON / DD=TNIXON